Weekend Clearlake trip with Knotgillty

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by daystarchis, Mar 22, 2007.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Well, Fished the delta on a houseboat a few weeks ago and now am invited to fish Clearlake for trophy channels with Randy (Knotgillty) this weekend:big_smile: I am S*@tting in high cotten:smile2: Hope to bring back an awesome report and plenty of pics. I am totally excited about this trip. I was looking up catfish Ed and the cat report looks excellent. Anyone hit clearlake recently?

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I hope that there are some fish left in the lake Robb... they had an annual st. patties day catfish derby last week end.... I'm sure that the 20,000 people fishing there left some cats to get... ran the numbers on the miles... Like..... to go there is like driving to the colorado river from the beach... some 274 miles and 4 hrs and 20 min of driving.....

You must have the spirit...... I hope that you do well.... anyone else driving up with you?

bayrunner ray

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I know there is a big tourney there next month or is it May??? anyway, they only went after them tiny ones:lol: Randy and I looking to hook them bigger ones:wink:

4. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I usually make at least one trip up to Clearlake every year. Last year I did it in the beggining of May. Unfortunately, I caught the shad die off in the south end, and the fishing was crap. I ended up packing it up and going to Indian valley reservoir....that's when I caught the bass in my avatar. Anyway, I went out last night and bagged another 5 pound striper. I will post a picture when I get a chance. I'm gonna kill the stripys this year!!!
    Linz

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Nice to hear from you Linz... where you fishing to get the striper.???... Soaking bait or throwing something?? have you ever thrown two jigs at one time.... or two feathers at the stripers.?... that really kills the mackeral and bonies down here ...... at times....... "thats when they are busting and boiling on top.....

bayrunner ray

6. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I was soaking a sardine by the Freeport bridge. It's not the best spot in the world, but it has one good quality this time of year. You don't get picked at by shakers, and there are virtually no catfish. You might stare at the tip of your pole for a long time, but the bites are usually good when they do come! I might go out there again tonight. That was the first time I have ever caught a striper past midnight. Fun stuff!
    Linz

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Met up with Randy and got to Clearlake. With respect to Randy, I won't post spots. There were so many spots to choose from. Started out nice, would you guess it, a system blew in. Quick thinking by Rany lead us to a creek and tied down for the night. Wind was blowing and all. Randy's boat was like home. Heater, mattress:smile2: We were inclosed, so it was warm inside. Biggest cat was 7#. Randy caaught it and 4 more i belive. I took in 2 or 3. Biggest b out 4# Randy new the lake i tell you that. Thanks Randy for a heck of a time:big_smile:

Attached Files:

8. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Had a fun trip Robb. Thanks for coming along.

We started out in the afternoon fishing the south side of the lake targeting trees & other structure in the water. Robb pulled in a 4.8 pound channel cat at our 2nd stop of the day. Just before dark it started getting real windy. We headed for the creek and tied off the front & back of the boat to trees around us. Thank goodness because the wind pretty much howled all night. At least it didn't rain. Overnight, I picked up some channels and some bullheads and robb caught some too. All fish for the trip were caught on dead shad. We tried at least 5 other baits without success. Called it a trip at about 8:30am the next morning. Never got a chance to even attempt one drift as the wind was just too much Sunday morning.

I'll try to post some pics tonight.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Took a lot of pic (as usual). Here are a few of the lake and fish.

Attached Files:

10. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Here's a couple more pics including the big fish (channel) of the trip. We didn't manage any of the double digit channels we were targeting, but good company and lines in the water makes up for spoty fishing any day of the week.

Hey Robb, did you get any good pics of that dead bird hanging from that tree?

Attached Files:

11. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Good going guys. Even with the wind you managed to have a fine night on the water.

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Oh....:wink: I forgot bout that bird. That was a trip.

Attached Files:

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Robb,

It looks like you guys had a "Great Time" out there! :big_smile:

"Looking good Buddy"! :eek:oooh: "Way to go guys"!
    :0a22:

Thanks for sharing those photos, :0a31:
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I think we did great too. Considering the 25mph winds, most folks would get skunked. Randy new his stuff. He had a couple of very good runs too. We had a good time. Good laughs and some kitties:smile2:

15. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Nice pics. What the heck was up with the bird?

16. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    you guys should have hit me up...im right on the way to clear lake. that tourny is may 17th...was thinking of fishin it but i dont konw the lake that well

17. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I think it got wrapped up in some fishing line, flew up to the tree, got the line wrapped around a branch, and died. It was weird looking.

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Randy drove around the corner. The wid was about 15 mph now. It was The birds are somewhat tame. I guess it being like a resort lake, the birds come real clse to the boat. As seen in photo.

Attached Files:

19. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    hey guys just found out that the tourny dates have been moved to the 18-20 im still goin just let me know if anyone else is and we can meet up. also if anyone wants to hit up the lake and practice just let me know

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Ben, PM Randy (knottguilty). He is going up there to scout and practice. He has a wealth of info.