Weekend Carp Fishing on the Potomac River in D.C.

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by HOPPY4, Oct 1, 2007.

1. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Here are a couple from the weekend! We had fish from 10 to 25.5 pounds and lost 3 that are unknown. All fish were caught, weighed, photographed and released.

HOPPY4

Attached Files:

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Nice pictures you have there. Two in one day not bad either. Might have to go down there and fish with you one day.

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Bacardipr05,
    You are more than Welcome to come and fish!!! The area is Great for it and the chance to land a New PB is always there. In May, there were 2 fish caught within 15 minutes of each other weighing 37.5 and 39lb. on different sides of the Tidal Basin. On Saturday, we had a total of 9 fish on the shoreline and 3 got away. The first 3 were CATS as they are very abundant as well. They will bite a Carp rig just as fast as a Cut bait rig. From time to time, I will set up for them, but mainly target the Carp. One guy told me that he had lost a Large Blue on Friday night/morning because he couldn't get him up once he had him at the railing.

HOPPY4

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks Hoppy I know the guard railing feeling. I lost a carp that way I didnt have a net:embarassed:. An older gentleman insisted we could lift it I advised thats a 25lb fish there no way can we lift it(14lbtest) and snap. The area around here is frequented by a lot of rowers(Kayakers) and such. Since this area is famous for that (or at least) wants to be known for it. Not that I have a problem with it. But I believe thats is what makes the fishing down here not that great. I would love to try my hand at a Blue we don't even have those down these parts....

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice Carps, James.

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I don't usually target carp, but those are 2 nice ones in your pics. Congrats. :wink:

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think once you land a nice big one philly you might take a chance at them. You know me one rod for the catties one for the carp....lol....

8. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Thanks guys, The fact is that I started to target Carp on a regular bases is due to my first one in Holland. These guys from my troop got me to Go and that rest is History. I LOVE the fight of these fish and when you have a SMALL one that makes you think that you have a Wild Bull on the end of your line, you get the FEAVER to say the LEAST. Not to mention when you have a larger fish that make the rod and reel shake as they take line during the runs. CJ & Philly, get out there and try as it will give you another target species that will make fishing that much more ENJOYABLE. JMHO with 12 years of continously targeting them!!!!!!!!!!!! I fish for basicly any species that is in my area, but CARP are my choice for pure fighting pleasure in Fresh Water here in the USA.

HOPPY4

9. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Hey Gentlemen, Today was a Red Letter Day as well. I now have a New PB! The previous mark was 26lb. on my Club Lake (Haug See) in Haasfurt, Germany. This mark has stood for over 7 years and I thought that I was never going to get past it. Now, today back in the USA I have BROKEN IT!!! The New mark is 28.2lb. form the Potomac River in our Nations Capital. Yes, I am Excited and Very Happy that I could come HOME and make this New mark.

HOPPY4

Attached Files:

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congrats again Hoppy. We have been getting the big skunk out on our side. They are some nice 25 to 30lbs out here also. Me and fellow BOC member Phillycat have tried for flats and carps out here. Our last encounter last night yield a nice fat eel....:sad2:... Congrats again Hoppy go get em.....

11. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Congrats on the new PB. Man I love the fighting strength of a carp.

12. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Bacardipr05 & Big B, I Thank You both for the Well Wishes. I just Hope that the weather holds up and the Fish keep biting as the visitors will arrive in NC on Tuesday. They will try their hand at BASS and Catfish down there before coming up here to visit. Again Thanks!!!

HOPPY4

13. Deuce

Deuce New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice carp!!!!!! I cant seem to catch any carp when thats what I'm trying to catch....:wink:

14. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    James,
    Congrats on the nice carp that you caught there. Ive caught some big carp myself and I know how it feels to hook into and land one of those babies. A big carp can put up a fight like no other fish can. Just curious, what were you using for bait? rspd507

15. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    rspd507, The actual bait was Corn! This is the primary bait that I use for them. Although it is Large Field Corn that has flavoring added, the facts remain the same. Yes, they do put up a fight and that is why I target them. By the Way, THANK You for the comments and I Hope that you are able to get out and catch some yourself soon.

HOPPY4

16. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Same thing Hoppy most of my carp catches have come off flavored corn(canned). I have caught a few on some my little home made bait recipes though. Although when I make my home made stuff I catch channels on it also so either way it works....lol....