weekend butt kickin'

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by stumphumper, Dec 9, 2008.

1. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Hit the mighty Edisto with my son at daylight Saturday morning and fished down toward Jacksonboro. He wanted to start off bass fishing so I bait fished while he threw the kitchen sink. Finally after two hours of nothing I convinced him to set up and drop some cut shad and herring. Long story short, nadda, nothing, zilch.

I sat up half the night Sat. trying to figure out what happened and come up with a new stategy. Hit the water with the wife mid-morning and headed to the mouth of Four Hole thinking we could drop cat lines and crappie fish all at the same time. Six hours and seven holes later skunked again.

Water rising, but clear. (Well in the swamp) Temp 49 deg.

BTW- both days we were harrassed by beavers. One even slapped the boat. Also saw a total of 11 deer swimming the river between the two days. Pretty cool stuff.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Six hours and seven holes later skunked again.

Water rising, but clear. (Well in the swamp) Temp 49 deg.

BTW- both days we were harrassed by beavers. One even slapped the boat. Also saw a total of 11 deer swimming the river between the two days. Pretty cool stuff.<

Sometimes, it's just that way! Kudos for your efforts though! Were there dogs running the deer that were swimming the river?

Bill in SC

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Beaver can be testy little boogers when they want to.

4. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Danny,I didnt fare to good saturday either.I'm using this as (my excuse) why,,this loon kept running off the fish:smile2:,that and it was too foggy for the fish to see!!![​IMG]

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like a Hilljack kind of day

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Danny Im not sure how close to the coast you are fishing but the bigger fish in the Pee Dee seem to have already moved down to the brackish water in search for food. My last 2 fishing trips have only yeilded young fish in the 2-8lb class with the exception of1 14lb blue. The water temps are mid 40's and that is about 10deg cooler than it normally s this time of year. It usually doesnt get into the 40's until January. I plan o start fishing back down that way in the next few weeks.:wink:

7. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Bill- The dogs definately had the deer moving. I think every club in the area hunted on the river this past weekend. I love to hear 'em run.

James- I have moved down river since getting everyones advice on a previous post, but maybe I need to go a little farther. Sat. me and the boy were within a mile of Hwy 17 pretty much the whole time. That is DNR's salt/fresh dividing line, but I don't put much stock in that. I can tell you that several times I have caught bass, redfish, and flounder in that area within minutes of each other, but that has always been when the river was low and the salt pushed inland. How far down would you suggest? Marsh grass and oyster beds?

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Whereever the bait is. I very rarelly to never catch cats were the reads and pluff mud are they seem to like a more hard bottom and truer bank. If you dont have a big blue population then it might be a little harde locating the fish.

9. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Hey Sam, that's your story and you're stickin' to it, right?

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Danny - thanks for the report. You made me feel a bit better about the 3 blues and 1 small flathead I got Saturday evening.

For the record, the salt/fresh line on the Edisto is the old railroad bed about a mile or 2 below Wiltown. I heard a rumor that the Westbank Landing is open again. You might want to try fishing the area from there down to Wiltown or a bit below. The salinities are fine down there these days. During droughts the area around Wiltown can get kind of salty, but it's fine right now. When it's wetter like this you can find cats (mostly blues) almost as far down as the ICW.

The Edisto is not quite the same situation as the PeeDee and other Winyah watersheds. They get a real good run of shad, and it seems like the cats relate to that. The Edisto has shad, of course, but not near the numbers that Winyah does. I just think the cats are moving down also for warmer water. I noticed that the water was a couple of degrees warmer just moving down river a few miles. Plus there's prolly other baits down there, too: shrimp, spot, fiddlers, etc.

The problem with moving that far down river is that you will be more or less limited to cats: there are not many bass (the green ones) or brim that far down.

11. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Thanks fellas. I am putting a plan together as we speak. This weather has us shut down today so I am trying to decide just how hardcore I am. The radar does not look too good, but the fish are already wet. Right?

John, I also heard that West Bank was open. If I go today I'll check it out and get back to ya.