Weekend at Lake Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by weathermantrey, Mar 30, 2008.

1. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    We just got back from a trip to Lake Marion this weekend and I figured I would let yall guys know how we did.

Thursday, we got there at 4pm and fished for a few hours above the 95 bridge and caught 8 or 10 blues with the biggest being 15lbs.

Friday, we fish out of Rock's pond and caught 6 blues ranging from 10 to 25 pounds.

Friday Night we tried out a new area towards the bottom end of the lake and managed a 30lb Flathead along with a couple good blues.

Saturday, we started off the first 4 hours without getting so much as a nibble. We finally found some fish later that day and managed 4 blues all of them between 15 and 20lbs and then my girlfriend landed a nice flathead.

All fish were caught on cut herring or shad including both of the flatheads. We tried live white perch with no luck.

Attached Files:

2. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    Here are a few more pictures....

Attached Files:

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    nice catch and good pics Trey,thanks for sharing with us

4. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Glad you all had a good trip, those are some good fish!

5. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    Great report. Sounds like everybody had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man looks like yall had a great trip Trey. You always seem to have them dialed in when you get down to santee. Congrats.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Them are some nice looking fish there thank you for sharing the pictures with us

8. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Nice trip Trey, hope yall left some for me cause I'm headed down that way next Thursday afternoon. Glad yall had a good trip. Central neighbor.
    :smile2::smile2:

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the report Trey. Thanks for sharing the pics. Were you drifting or were you anchored? How deep were you fishing?

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations, looks like a great fishing trip. Thanks for posting :cool2:.

11. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc

We caught all of our fish anchored. We were catching them in 3 to 6 feet of water on the first day. After that the shallow water bite was fairly slow compared to past years.

We caught the flatheads and several blues on saturday fishing on the channel ledge is 28 feet of water.

12. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice fish. Thanks for the pics.

13. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Nice bunch of fish ! I've never fished above I95 But I hope to be there sometime this summer. Thanks for the report.

14. QBQ

QBQ New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on the catch.Great pics

15. went to lake Marion near Rock's pond fri a.m. Caught 5 fish 6-18 lbs.
    3 were caught shallow 4 foot and the other two were caught drifting herring
    20-25' deep. Lost a very big fish. fought him for about two min. and my 30 lb leader broke at the hook. i caught a few fish earlier w/ that rod so i guess i should have re-tied. thats laziness for ya. i hadn't felt one pull like that in a long time if ever. oh yeah , water temp was 62-64 degrees.

16. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I've noticed something worth mentioning whenever I lose a fish at the leader. I use several different hook styles. The ones that seem to break off at the leader are the hooks that have a very small gap at the loop end. Eagle Claw ones comes to mind first. I'm thinking that the knot slips a little and gets caught in the gap there and thus causes the break off there. I usually see the line at the end looks like part of the cinch knot. It isn't straight line but obviously curved for a reason. This tells me the line didn't fail anywhere else but at the knot section. I am now using Daichi red circle hooks and these don't have that gap like the Eagle Claw ones have.
    Good catches man. I'll be there this coming weekend in Marion.
    Thanks again,
    Jonathan
    bearfrog1@yahoo.com

17. never thought of that i'll have to check that out. I'm also gonna be back again
    this weekend. I'm planning to be out on the lake around 2-3 am and try to do some damage in the shallow water. Water has been steady coming up and hopefully the trees will be deep enough to hold some fish.

18. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Fine job guys and gal. Looks like you all a great time, by the smiles on your faces, I can tell it was a good trip. thanks for the post Trey:wink:

19. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Going after them this weekend above I95......taking my brothers new pontoon and trying it out swamp style.......once you get over that first dent its all downhill !!!!! Staying at Poplar Creek if any of you guys get up that way give us a shout. Channel 68 VHF

20. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    ken if nothing happens im getting my motor back will be down the rest of this wk will give you a call.