Week long fishing trip Santee Help

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sds888, Jul 10, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Well I am less than a week away to my week long fishing trip. It is going to start with catching some huge bream in the swamps of a little place called sampit. Then going to a place in charleston catching some warmouths. Maybe do a little saltwater fishing but doubt it. Then finishing the week at santee state park for catfish. We will be staying on the pier there in cabin #6 friday night saturday and sunday morning. We will be fishing off the pier at the park probably out the front door of the cabin. I need as much tips as I can get. anyone fished there before? We might have someone bringing a boat but doubt it but if so is there any place right around there that would be good. Also anyone ever bought bait out of the store there how is it would it be better to go off the park and buy the bait? Thanks for all the help
    Stephen

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

buying bait I can't help you with but the fishing is pretty good one the state park side I havn't caught any big one's there but I have caught a bunch. If you can find Jack's creek marina, its not to far away, they rent little jon boats pretty cheap. Go straight out of the marina and try all of the little coves if the waters rough, if the waters pretty smooth and the winds not real bad drifting is good also. Good luck Santee though fished pretty hard still has a lot of big fish in it. Baits I have done well with there are bream ( all types) cut works better for me than live and shad both whole and cut. good luck

3. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Thanks for the reply. Every year the old fraternity members from college get together and go to the moutains camping and trout fishing. This year the women put their feet down and said that they were staying in a cabin so we decided for santee state park. I have to show the rest of them up.:wink: naww we just have a good time whether we catch anything or not.
    Stephen

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like fun. We go down in march are sept and have a ball. good luck I know there are some guys that fish there regularly and will be adding to this thread.

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    is there anyone else fish this place before I need all the help I can get. Laidback has given me some great info but would like several opions thanks
    Stephen

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I drove down to Santee the last time on 17 and in winding my way towards St Stehens passed Sampit.They must have good brim fishing there because that is all that would be there.:tounge_out: Many good cats have been caught at the State park particularly in the trees right out from the park.I imagine you can catch some from the dock.Fresh cut bait like white perch or herring should work.You should be able to find herring in Santee just down the road,bag it up and keep it on ice ,DON"T freeze it.You can catch white perch or brim from the dock.Go to www.santeecooper.com click on enviroment then go to available guides.Call Steve Shipley as he fishes in that area extensively.Tell him I recommended that you call him and you are a friend of mine.He will probably hang up!!!!:wink: :big_smile: :lol: I've fished with him a number of times and he will give you good scoop.:cool2:

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I fished Santee for 5 years while I was stationed in Sumter, SC. I always had the best luck on fresh cut shad and bream. The best bait I ever used was a saltwater herring the Pack's Landing sells. They were about $2 per fish, but big enough to get 6 bait-ups out of each. I can't help much from the shore. I think boat is the only way to get the most out of Santee. If you do luck up and get a boat, head for the sticks in about 50' of water this time of year. Fish your bait under a slipfloat and work it in 5' increments from the bottom until you find them. Give me a PM if you want detailed info. I fished several tourneys there and used 3 guide services.

8. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    thanks for all the info. Yup sampit has nothing to it that is where my mammas side of the family came from. She just moved back there on 17 and she had a pond built in her yard and stock it with some bream out of the swamp behind her house. She feeds them everyday. They are getting really big and fun to catch on really light tackle. Sounds like cut bait is going to be the way to go. Thanks again everyone for your replies This is going to be a nice vaction.
    Stephen

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Stephen, I went to lower lake marion today. Every fish was caught on whole fresh herring. I couldn't get them to bite cut herring or perch. In fact, I didn't catch a single fish on perch today, and that's unusual. I drifted, with a slinky sinker and cork on the leader 8" above the 6/0 kahle hook. The whold herring was threaded onto the hook. I tried other rigs and for some reason they weren't interested in them. I caught 5 fish from 6-18# in water 8-14' deep early in the day. After about 11 am, I didn't catch anything shallow. Finally moved into 30' or so of water and picked up 5 more from 6-26#, including a 16#, 14#, and a 6# all at the same time. I had my hands full, for sure. I had just landed and released the 26#, so that rod was in the boat unbaited, when all 3 of the rods left in the water started pulling down. Two of them wrapped around logs, but I worked them free. What a day!
    Keep in mind, too, that every fish I caught today was close to stumps. Hope this helps you with your fishing.

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    tommy im jealous save some for hard times

11. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Thanks Tommy I cant wait to get to your neck of the woods. The fish are calling me I can hear them.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ron, are you fishing the tournament on the 29th? I know you and Jim had talked a little about it? Just wondering.
    I'be been puzzling about yesterday's fishing. The wind was forecast for s-e 10-15, but actually was mostly north at 1-3 or less. So, the boat was drifting at a very slow speed, too slow to register on the gps (<.2mph). The fish were there, but now I wonder, if I had been drifting a little faster, would I have gotten more bites? Or, because of the extremely slow drift, was the bait in the zone longer, which maybe allowed me to catch more than I would have on a faster drift? I actually woke up during the night wondering about that. When I caught those 3 at once (almost 4), the wind had quit completely and was just before switching from n-w to southerly. After the wind turned to the south, it started building up thunderheads, and since I had to idle out of the timber, I elected to leave.
    I kept 6 fish for a fish fry. By the time I got home, tired from being in the sun all day, and cleaned those fish while fighting off a hoard of hungry yellow jackets, I remember why I usually release my fish. :tounge_out: I haven't kept any cats since back in the winter, but the freezer is low, and I have a fish fry to do, so I kept some today.

13. Tommy, sounds like you had a good day out there.Its great to hear a good report from my neck of the woods.If you don't mind my asking, what general area where you in. Was the timber floating logs or standing and where you drifting straight down or dragging? Any flatheads or all blues?
    Thanks for any info.
    Mark

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mark, your profile doesn't say what area of the state you live in, but I was on the flats west of the dam and north of bird/pine islands early, and in the standing timber toward randolph's while the sun was high. I was using a drift rig with herring. All my fish were blues, although I did see a guy with a nice flathead at the landing as I was launching. He didn't say where he caught it, he gave me some live perch, but I didn't catch a single fish on them, which is unusual.

15. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    yes on the tourn on the 28th i picked up another partner before jim let me know but i think he is going to fish it two you should give it a try i will be down that thursday before the tourn maybe we can share some info see you soon. i like that slow drift with good bate i think the herring stiched is as good as it gets the bigger the better but i still like the lower lake better i guess becouse im lazy an fat putten out socks in hot weather is hard on old men lol but you whould not know that yet see you soon ron.

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, Ron, thanks for the tip a long time ago on threading the bait. Since you showed me how, I've been doing it kinda regular. I haven't been doing quite as well lately with cut bait, so decided to experiment. I had 3 different setups yesterday, but the way you rig is one they wanted. I have a family reunion that weekend over at Pinopolis, don't know if I'll get to fish any or not. Good luck to all of you brothers in the tournament, though.

17. Tommy, thanks for the report. Great report as always
    Thanks again,
    Mark
    P.s. I live in goose creek but, our lakehouse is in cross between spires landing & rocks pond.

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    10-4, Mark. You may have told me before, but if so I'd forgotten. Hope to meet up with ya sometime when I'm up that way. Tell me if you know; how secure is Spier's Landing to leave a vehicle parked? Got any idea?

19. Tommy,
    From what i've heard Spires is at least ok during daytimes hrs.
    I have not heard anything either way as far as night hours are concerned.
    mark

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Mark. I started to put in there once to avoid the strong south winds on the open water, but wasn't sure about it.