Week end of Relaxation

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by whisker maniac, Jun 16, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Took a couple days off from work last week so I could have an extra long weekend to go fishing.
    Got everything ready and waited to Wed. afternoon to load up. Drove my truck around back and loaded my boat and the equipement I needed from my shed for the trip. I could tell my wife was irritated with me cause I was going and she had to work. But I also knew she would find a way to join me at least for the rest of the weekend.

I drove back around to the front of the house to load up the rest of my gear. Got the truck backed up and went back inside to get the gear. On my way back out to the truck arms loaded with gear I looked down and to my astonishment I had a flat tire.

Great! What a way to start a weekend. No real big deal right. Well I had waited to the last minute to load up and leave because I was waiting for it to cool down. It was really hot.

I dug out all the gear I had behind the seats so I could get to the jack and tools. Man they had the jack bolted to the flooring.... and I mean bolted down. Had to go find a wrench to take those bolts off the jack.

I got the jack out and proceeded to change my tire. Got the jack under the truck. Started to undo the lugs on the tire when I realized that since the previous owner had changed the rims on the truck the lug nut wrench wouldn't fit the lugs. Well I didn't think that would be a problem either cause I knew I had a four way in my old truck tool box out by my shed. I got into my tool box and lo and behold my good four way wasn't there but, I did find some old lug nut wrenches tho and tried them to no avail. So, I went back to my tool box and dug thru some deep well sockets and and gathered up a socket wrench and a break over bar. I found the right fit and got the lugs loose and the tire off.

By this time I was really hot. I went back inside and got some water and a cool wet towel to cool myself off with. Man was it hot.

After I cooled back down enough I went back outside to finish changing my tire. With the jon boat loaded in the back of the truck already I had to crawl under the back end to lower the spare and because the boat was in the way it made it alot harder to crank the tire down. I finally got the tire down and loose from the chain and got it on the truck. Cleaned up my mess and put everything away.

I was burning up again. Went back inside for some more water and a kool down.

By the time I got myself kooled down again and checking my watch I realized that time had slipped passed me alot quicker than I had thought. By the time I would finish gettting everything loaded and drive to the lake, set camp up, and get the boat launched it would be near dark. I wouldn't have time to get any lines out and where I was camping there are too many low limbs for casting with big rods so I decided to just stay home one more night in the air conditioning and leave for the lake the next morning.

I got up Thursday morning and finished loading the rest of my gear and left for the lake. I arrived at the lake about mid morning and set up camp. This was extreme rough camping but is a nice spot with plenty of shade.

Finished getting the camp set up and then launched my boat and proceeded to go set my lines out. It was hot. The sun was glaring down on me alot harder than I thought as I pressed on to get all my lines out.

I baited with various baits. Two different kinds of dough baits, some baby shad, and zote soap. Some of the soap I had covered in garlic powder and some I left plain.

I set up three limb lines also just for fun and baited them with some larger shad.

By the time I got back to camp it was about supper time but when I got up from the boat I realized I had gotten entirely too hot. Once I had stood up I started feeling dizzy and sick. I got me some cold water and drank and drank but it didn't seem to help much so I finally climbed back into my truck and cranked it up and turned the air conditioning on as high as it would go. It took quite awhile for me to cool back down to where I felt okay.

Now you all may ask my after all this how in the world could I have titled this thread as a weekend of relaxation. Well the rest of the weekend went well. My wife couldn't stand that I had gone fishing and camping without her so she worked straight thru thursday for 15.5 hrs so she would get in her time and she came on out Thursday nite about midnight and stayed the weekend with me. Also a friend of mine came out Thursday evening to fish with me and spent the night and ran the lines with me Friday morning. We did have a nice time although the fish weren't biting very good.

We caught 5 channels all around 2 to 3 lbs each, one blue that was 3 to 4 lbs and I caught a bass that was 3 lbs. I hung one channel that was around 2.5 to 3 lbs on a small cricket hook while bream fishing for bait. That was really fun. He wrapped me around some over hanging limbs with my drag just a singing. My wife got really excited and grabbed the net and tried to net the fish but the limbs were in the way and she couldn't get to him well at all. When she used the net the cat got more excited and put up one more desperate fight and straightened my hook and got away. My wife got really upset and all I could do was laugh about it all. I had to remind her that the enjoyment was not totally in landing the fish but in the fight and that is why they call it fishing and not catching.

So you see all in all we did have a relaxing time in spite of other obstacles that were thrown our way.

2. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    These are pics of Calion lake in Calion Arkansas near El Dorado.

Attached Files:

3. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    ...... and here is pictures of the few fish we caught.

Attached Files:

4. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    gotta watch that heat, it will plumb zap it out of ya. Sounds like you had a good time despite the rocky start. Nice pictures

5. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well kev it did sound like you had a rough start but all in all a good weekend . i wish i could have been there to help you enjoy it ,maybe next time

6. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    yeah Tall we gotta quit beatin around the bush and get together sometime :big_smile: But I got to get new tires for the truck before I can even think about venturing very far from home.