weedwacker as a trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boating' started by crackers, Dec 27, 2007.

1. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Not sure where to post this but has any one tryed to convert a weedwaker engine to a trolling motor, Ive been looking at some of the other sites and found some that has been done and they were very impressive. I was thimking about one for my pontoon boat because of the exta power for the bigger boat. I have some extra weedeaters that im thinking of trying but was wondering if any one on here has tryed this...and what results they got... thanks

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I would think it would work. But I thought the purpose of a trolling motor was to be quiet. Otherwise, you could pretty much just use the outboard.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can get a 30 pound thrust trolling motor for under a 100 bucks if you shop it. You can get a 55 pound thrust for 250 and change.

That weedeater motor isnt going to out torque an electric motor. 21-25 CC aspirated engine?
    The only pro I can see with a weedeater powered trolling motor is saving weight.

Sure it can be done. In my opinion its reinventing the wheel. It might be different if trolling motors were only affordable by rich folks.

4. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You can make it work, but then the loud noise would scare all the fish away so you lose the purpose of a trolling motor. Plus you would have to spend more money on gas & oil for weedeater vs just pluging in a battery and charging it.

5. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with MarkJ in that yes, it COULD be done.
    However, one of many questions I would have has to do with the efficiency of the Prop at Weedwacker speeds???
    Water is about 800 times denser than Air is and the engineer in me also says the torque, stress's, strains, ect, on the shaft parts, bearings, shaft, seals, ect, would need to be taken into consideration and completely redone to allow for the density and pressures encountered in water too!!
    As a "see if you can" project or some kind of weird emergency out on the water, yes it could be done. But it's not practical.
    Still, if you have the Weedwacker to waste, and just want to "Play" with the concept, then have at it!:wink: But DO pay heed to ALL SAFETY MEASURES while you are doing so! I am sure the other Brothers and Sisters would agree with me in saying that we would NOT want you to loose your fingers on your hands so you could not type on the BOC board anymore or WORSE!!!!!
    If you do go with this project I would be interested in what you did, how you did it, and what you found out performance wise and all too. I'm sure it would be interesting reading!! :big_smile: I am also sure that others would be interested too, just NOT at the expense of your health!!
    Just PLEASE, P-L-E-A-S-E, BE CAREFUL!!! Nothing about this "experiment" is worth any of your health!! And I Do sincerely mean that too!
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

6. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    From the reading ive been doing is that you want to run an extendion of your exaust into the water to make it quiet, and I think you would want to use some sort of speed gear reduction, because the weedeater runs at about 10,000 RPM's and the density of the water would not let it run, and to answer the question about the vegatation you could leave the string on to take care of that problem at the same time. thanks guys give me some more input on this, dont want to start something I cant finish, Its just running around in my head at the time. I might want to quit while i am a head...

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    worst case you can turn it into an ice auger and go ice fishing!

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you have ever used a weedeater as a trolling motor...you might be a redneck!

Someone call Jeff....:wink:

Lets hope it is not electric! :confused2:

9. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Its a lot better then wackin weeds, if you convert it to a trollin motor, you have a good excuse to take it fishing, tell her its for a top secret project your workin on and it has to be done at the lake or river.. and if you happen to take a few poles and some bait what is that going to hurt..you have to go there any ways... the spouse cant aurgue with that... redneck tecknition

10. NeverBigEnough

NeverBigEnough Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I bet I hear that one on the next Jeff Foxworthy special.:smile2:

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    More like Country Fried Home Videos...that show on CMT that Bill Engvall hosts...redneck genius gone horribly wrong...:big_smile:

12. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    This is fairly common in the duck hunting community to get into back water sloughs, kinda like a small mud motor. Here is a link of a common store bought weedeater on a homemade lay out boat. Not fast but it will move something small. I can put more links up in detail of how the guy built it but its on another forum ( Duck Hunting) and not sure if that is ok or not. so I will just put this up for now. http://s82.photobucket.com/alb.....rmovie.flv

13. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    wonder what kind of string he was using. LOL Actually it would be good for some of the smaller ponds with a light boat/canoe ect. I could see making one, and I aint even from Missouri. LOL Later Andy

14. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I don't think it would be worth the trouble with the low cost of an electric trolling motor.

15. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    You can go out to Walmart and buy a cheapo weedeater for 59.95, and make your conversion for it. Make it interchangeable, and then your set. With the electric trolling motor you got to buy a trolling motor 125.00 plus a battery 65.00, then a battery charger ect. so if you use the weedeater, once you have a mount made up, you can use the left over gas after you weedeat the yard to go fishing. Good luck Later Andy

16. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I wonder if the high speed of the engine would cause any troubles, I looked at the video that was on Louie" post and it was pretty neat. I could see where that would come in handy for duck hunting cause you dont have to use a battery or a charger, just use a small amount from your gas tank of your out board. And you dont have to bend over every time you wanted to crank up and move to another location, any one else looked at this setup