Weeds

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by vegasryder, Jul 26, 2006.

1. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just wondering...Since weeds are good cover for bluegills and small fish(lake),do you think the Flatties would hunt for them there?It would seem to be a good place for them cats to hide also.I`m asking this question because the other day i had a really good run nearby a heavily weeded area.I was using bluegill for bait.

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    if it worked for you, then keep tryin!

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Couldnt hurt to keep trying. It might have been some other fish other than a flathead though.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The best time to catch them is at night when they come into the shallows to feed, so yes they will come into the weeds where the small fish are.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just last night I was watching channels up in the shallows (down to 4" of water) feeding on bluegill. In the other pond on base the black bass and channels have been doing the same thing.

May not have been a flattie, but could have been a good cat. Heck... My biggest bass has been on live bluegill while fishing for cats just off a weedbed.

6. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    It was around 8:30 so it was getting pretty dark.Dont know exactly what it was but it pulled really hard.I`m going to try the same spot again tonight if weather permits.If i catch a fish with a red hook at the same spot...then i`ll know who the culprit is:big_smile:

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Im sure they would as long as its like 2 ft deep id say give it a shot.

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It sounds like its worked for you, so keep trying it. From my personal experience while using live bluegills around big weed patches, all I've caught is largemouth bass and have never hooked into any flatheads that way.

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just came back and the result...nada!!!Sometimes i wonder why i still try to hunt these fish.Driving 30 miles back and forth everyday,gas,$xx amount of money on tackle and stinkbaits...I`m ready to call it quits!!!J/K .Its my passion and my getaway from my everyday problems.

10. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Sometimes, if you are quiet and stealthy, you can see the big cats going through the weeds. Then, just plunk a bluegill next to where the weeds are moving. They spook easy though.

11. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I always had good luck fishing the lilly pads for cats. It would be better if you could find a chanel running through them. I feel the weeds do draw in the bigger fish.