weeds or no weeds

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wei1, May 29, 2009.

1. wei1

wei1 New Member

State:
    new cumberland,pa
    which is better for cats in a lake-area of weeds-or no weeds

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    you have a better chance of catching bullheads than channels in weedy areas, once you put your bait out you will get soo mad at those things

3. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    welcome to the boc dave.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I wouldn,t worry about the weeds.I,d rather find an area where there,s some wood around or some nice rocks.Even rip-rap around the dam.

5. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    They dont bite after you put a 9/0 through em

6. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    haha thats true

7. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I havent caught a channel cat yet out of weeds. But cliffs are very good during the day. If your getting bullheads though it would be best to move. Bullheads seem to keep there distance from the channel cats. 90 percent of the big channel cats I catch are during the day though.
    Acording to pro catfishrman Keith Sutton, the channel cats can be found in shallow weeds during the spring feeding on frogs, if there are a lot of frogs in the area. Personaly I have caught nice channels throwing bull frog tadpoles around cliffs.

8. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    That is true they always seem to be close to a hiding place.

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I fish a river that has a lot of hydrilla(grass) during the warmer months. Sometimes it's hard keeping it off the lines, A slipbobber works great for this. The channels are in the grass chasing the bait. We've had them in the livewell throwing up grass, so I'd have to say don't be afraid to fish the grassy areas, the bigger channels are more of a predator them a scavenger, they like the bluegills, fallfish,crappie, crawfish, shad, etc. The grass is where you will find a lot of these baitfish hiding..... It's a boring saying, but " Find the bait, Find the fish". There is a lot of truth to it.

10. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    The other week i was fishing and seen a bunch of carp jumping around the weed beds so I went over there to try to catch some of the carp and there were channels cats all through there, I couldn't keep them off the hook! They were all grouped up in a circle with there mouths sticking up out of the water. Don't know why they doing that? Does any one know what they were doing? And why?

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Maybe the carp were spawning and the cats were eating up the eggs.

12. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    My buddy and I fish some very, VERY sloppy areas on a lake here for bass at night. THICK pads on top of the water and very THICK grass/tails under the pads. We hammer the bass in there, but we have also had guys fishing close to us on more than one occasion that were nailing channel cats. These weeds are full of frogs, crayfish, alewife, shiners, perch, gills, sunfish and so forth. As was mentioned, find the bait....find the fish.