Weedeater

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, give me some advice. my sears weedeater has crapped out after 4 years of service. what brand and size should i buy? the last one was a 33cc unit and i don't want one smaller.

i would like to have one that lasts for 20 years for maybe 5 or 10 bucks, but that ain't gonna work.:smile2:

the sears piece was about 125$ when i bought. i figure that is pretty good value for the dollar.

should i spend 100$ or 200$? what brand and what price?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    One that's a good deal and has done fine for us is a Bolens at Lowes. I'll try and get ya the model soon, its got a yellow engine cover. Its a 17" 31 cc 2 cycle curve shaft string trimmer. Just $70 bucks, cant beat it.:wink:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    stihl ive got 2 of them thats 14 years old and still runs fine theyre just a bit higher price but worth it i have a small one and a bigger one that you can put a blade on to cut brush

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I stand behind Stihl 100% they are worth the price.Or a Husqavarna would be the second pick.I have a Husq and used a Stihl many hours last year cutting brush.

Also if your going to be busting brush and can afford the price tag the 90cc series are very nice.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have got the Bolen weed eater mentioned above, its okay, but the dang string doesnt come out of it the correct way. Seems like Im always fooling with it

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Any other brand BUT WEEDEATER:wink::smile2: If a weedeater brand lasts more than two seasons,it's a fluke.

7. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    I bought a Troy Built at Lowes. Runs off straight gas. No mixing oil. Does have a oil tank on it. Think it holds a half pint. Oil is fine after three years. Inter changable heads. Sounds funny running. Like a mini-mini-mini bike...lol. I was tired of having different oil/gas ratio items. Now I got a weedeater and leaf blower all in one.

8. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    My father-in-law has a stihl weed eater. It is fantastic. I have a sears one I have had for years. His seems twice as powerful as mine. The stih brand in my opinion is hard to beat. And you can get one that has interchangeable cutting tools. That would be handy.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Get a stihl fs45 or larger, great machines :cool2:.

10. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    For quality. performance I'd go with Husqavarna

11. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I bought a WEEDEATER and it lasted TWO TIMES. WEEDEATER is JUNK!

12. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    Any brand is ok as long as it is a stihl Used to buya weedeater every 2 years got a stihl and wife can crank it :smile2: As for size get the one you can afford straight shafts work better also

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Roundup phil Roundup :smile2:

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Roundup.... Sure 2.5 gallons of concentrate costs around $160.00,but it makes 300 gallons! If you use ten gallons a year it would last you thirty! Think of it, thirty years of weed control for $160.00 that works out to about a hundredth of a cent per day. You cant beat prices like that with gas or electric powered equipment.lol :wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    After to many weedeaters I now have a ryobi swap heads and extendable shaft cranks easy to me it is the way to go

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    When we lived in TX I used a cheap electric model. I had a home made grass edger so I didn't have much use for a weedeater except in the alley.

Bought a gas Weedeater 16 years ago after we moved here. It was the largest model they made, also came with a blade. 7 years ago bought a $69 lightweight Sears weedeater for here and started using the heavy Weedeater at the farm. Other than I had to replace the gas line on the old one has been the only problem.

Yeah, there was one other thing.. the Weedeater spool was marked backwards for rewinding the line. After a phone call Weedeater sent me a complete new head and spool.

17. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live in the city limits or I'd have a coupla goats...:smile2:
    Instead, I settled on an Echo... can't remember what I paid for it since I've had it for a dozen or so years.

18. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I am not sure if your yard is as country fried as ours. Almost 4 and 1/2 acres but Ray bought a weedeater from Sears but it looks a lot like a lawn mower. But it is a weedeater... Since we are in Arkansas ya can omagine the red dirt gravel pit rocked area we weeedwack. We have bought only two of these since 1996 and they earned there stay in the garage

19. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have a 310 husky with a straight shaft and it starts easy. They are pricey though. Maybe you could find a good used one. Thats what I did when I bought mine. I only pd 150$ for it. The guy I bought it from has a lawn care business and he didnt like the straight shaft. It was only a yr old. I have had it for 5 years now and still runs like the day I bought it. Good luck.

20. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    Get a YO-YO then you can save money by dropping out of your aerobics class:smile2: