Weedcutting?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by peewee williams, Feb 11, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Will 30 lb.braid that is .008 in.in dia.cut through lilly pads and such,while fishing?If so,it would seem great for shallow,weedy fishing.peewee-williams

2. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    I don't really fish lilly pads or hydrilla up hear in Iowa. However, I have had all my braided line cut through some submergent vegetation and even some thin reeds when a fish gets on. I think if the braided line was heavy enough (like your 30 lbs) and you had on a big enough fish, I beleive you could saw through a thin branch if the fish got tangled around some branches, so I am sure it could saw through some plant stalks.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A lot of the lakes,ponds and swamps are shallow and full of water lilies.Fish will wrap you up in them.I wondered if the 30 lb.braid would cut them.I allways used a paddle with a notch to slide down the line when hung solid in shallow water.I used a 12 ft.push pole in the deeper spots.It seems braid might be handy for this type of fishing,if it cuts.I know to use a stick to break it,when hung.I have put 20 lb.braid on my sons and grandsons reel,but none on mine.I hoped someone had fished braid in these conditions,and had a opinion.peewee-williams

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish in very similar conditions and the fish seem to love it in the lillypads.
    I just put on braided line last year to one of my poles and wasnt really able to test it out like id like. This year Ive put 30# stren superbraid on my spinning reels and am gonna find out.

It does seem to gain control of the fish alot faster, allowing a little more horsing in. Im still new to braided line but the next time im at the pond I may grab a lillypad and do some tests.