Weed Eater Out Board

Discussion in 'Boating' started by tehrealmccoy, Jun 24, 2007.

1. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    I know it's possible.. but does anyone have any good recommendations on how to go about making an out board out of a weed eater engine?

Like would it be possible to mate the weed eater engine to a trolling motor?

Thanks!

Brian

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    They don't work too well; the string gets tangled in the lily pads and chokes the engine down. :lol:

3. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I've seen a post somewhere that had a clip of a guy using a weedeater. Wouldn't expect it to push the boat to no more than trolling speed. You proly would have to use a trolling motor prop on one. Sure would be noisy:big_smile:

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Check out www.ioutboardmotors.com Motors are 1.2-2 1/2 hp.,50-100 lb.thrust and weigh 16-20 lbs.Sears sold them during the 80's in their stores.If you purchase one,please let us know how it works out.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    The son of a friend of mine used weed eater engines in remote control boats...they would fly (literally). Don't think they would be practical for a larger boat.

I have seen 5-8 hp (maybe more) lawn mower engines mounted on the rear decks of boats mounted with a long prop shaft for shallow or weedy water. The prop is 6-8' away from the boat. When my lake was weedy they were sold localy...Go-Devil I think was the brand.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a Go-Devil with a 9 hp.Briggs & Stratton Vanguard engine.It is a little heavy,awkward and no reverse but a great go anywhere motor for shallow,mud,weeds,sandy and rocky water with the weedless prop. and the rock guard.I was fishing the Okefenokee Swamp in Southwest Ga.,the Ogeechee and Savannah rivers at low water,pond 4 in Fort Stewart Ga.,and the rivers of east Tenn.Bought it about 15 years ago to go where my 9.8 Mercury could not.They have improved them since.I would buy it again.It did everything that they claimed.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

7. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    They used to use about 5hp lawn mower motors on the old wooden boats(stumpjumpers) with long shafts and a guard under the prop at reelfoot lake.
    They would crawl right over those stumps.
    Hey just buy a trollin motor. A good used one cheaper than a weedeater.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Those 30 pound thrust MinnKotas are too cheap.:eek:oooh:

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah, what he said. I passed by a guy with one of them things running full tilt before and he wasn't going no where in a hurry.

10. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    there was a guy on ebay who sold a kit to put a w/w motor on a electric trolling motor. i would think the noise would make you crazy!!

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I just got an interesting new book called Electric Propulsion for Boats.
    Its written by Charles Mathews.
    Charles is an electrical engineer and a lover of boats that has owned 25 boats or so over the years.
    In his book he shows you how to take a golf cart motor and attach it to an outboard lower unit.

He also shows you how to rewind motors.
    He gets into the ineffenciencies of trolling motor motors and DC motors.
    He shows you how to take a 3 Phase AC motor and convert it to a DC motor for great efficiency.
    So far its been a very easy to read book. Its written in a way like he is a longtime friend and telling you a story.
    He kind of is. the book is laid out in years. Like year 5 how he electric powered his Carolina Skiff and so forth.

I'm going with an some type of electric drive on the pontoon I'm rebuilding in addition to the outboard. Thats why I got this book. To explore some options that I can build myself rather then spend obscene amounts of money for something manufactured.

I highly recomend this book if you are faced with electric lakes only or want to learn more about powering boats electrically.

12. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I had a old 7hp. outboard . the motor went bad . so a friend and I put a briggs push mower motor on it and it works really good! I made a bracket and welded a u joint to the outboard shaft. I used it on a jon boat a few times and left it out in the rain for about a year the other day my buddy pulled the rope and that old thing fired up!! if your looking for a really cheap motor get you a leaf blower from a yard sale and make a jet boat!! just neck down the pipe with a piece of 2" PVC.. it will work!!!