Weed beds

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Scott Daw, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    how deep do/can weed beds go in a lake? how do channel cats relate to them if at all?

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    the depth that weed beds grow depends on the clarity of the water. Most of the lakes here are not clear enough for them to grow . there is one small lake I know of with weed beds and I have caught channels out of them.

3. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    my favorite local lake is full of weeds and little other distinct structure.Its about 700 acre lake and i catch many channels simply by tossing right into the middle of the weeds.Cats will relate to whatever available cover they have.GOOD LUCK!

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I thought only bass and bream like weed beds?

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I was reading an article in a magazine not long ago and it had an article on that.According to it,weed beds are an excellent place to catch channels esp. in March & April.I'll try to remember where I read that at.

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    All the way to the bottom.:wink:

I know Ive casted into weed beds before with liver or stinkbait on and cat blues... My son has caught them with nightcrawlers too just on the outside of weedbeds.

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    My favorite spot is weedbed for bass, panfish, walleye, pike, and catfish. I caught some nice sizes of channels. just use nightcrawler. and really nice size of bullhead there too..