Wedding Anniversary (38th)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Sentry Dog Man, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Today marks the 38th year that I have been married to my wonderful wife, Sandra.

I met her when she was 15 years old and I was 17. We dated for 3 and 1/2 years before we got married. We would not even consider getting married before she finished high school. And, neither one of us wanted to rush into anything because we both understood that marriage was a serious commitment. A lifelong commitment. And, a love that had to go beyond physical and sexual attraction. And, could not always be based upon our emotions (how we "felt" about one another on any given day). Afterall, we were making a covenant with one another. And, that no matter what, we were bound one to the other, through good times and bad.

Thus, here it is 38 years later and we are still together. Through all the good and bad times. We have certainly had our ups and downs. But, through it all, we have discovered that, "Forgiveness goes a long, long way." Since, neither one of us can ever do anything or enough that will right the wrongs or heal the hurts that one has done to the other. We may never hurt or wrong the other again, in the same way. But, that still does not pay for the hurt or wrong. We may do extra things to try and make up for it. But, that is still not sufficient payment for the hurt we have caused. Thus, it is up to the offended party to forgive and "let it go". Is this easy? "No way."

Forgiveness is costly and not easy. It will cost you, your pride and your so called "right" to revenge. For, you feel justified in your prideful anger and now you have to let it go (which is not easy). Thus, you feel slighted and that justice has not been served, if you forgive.

Yes indeed, forgiveness is costly and not easy. It cost Jesus his life, to pay a debt that we could not and cannot pay for. Since, we could never do enough good to pay for all the bad things we have done. And, it was not easy to endure the scourging and beatings He endured and then to be nailed to a cross and hang there, suffering, to pay the penalty/price for our sins.

So, on this day of my Anniversay, I would encourage any of you who may have a "rocky" marriage and may be wanting to end it because of some hurt or wrong you have been subjected to, by your spouse. That, you forgive them and remember the covenant you made with them. And, you might just find, that even though you have been hurt by your mate, you may still have the best person who ever came into your life.

2. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mike and Sandra, Congratulations on the 38 yrs of marriage, that is something to be very proud of. Alot of water goes under the bridge in that much time. I hope you had wonderful day!!

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Congratulations To The Both Of You

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Congratulations Mike and Sandra You Folks are Truly an Insperation! God Bless You Both and Grant you another 38 years. Your Frind J.D.
    :big_smile:

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    A true testament to marriage! Kudos to you. Y'all are some of the lucky ones. My plans for that didn't work out, and I have much admiration for anyone that has the skills to accomplish a great unity.

Happy Anniversary!

Take care.
    Cheryl

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Mike and Mrs. Mike. LOL!

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Happy aniversary, Mike. I hope you two get to have 38 more.

8. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congatulations to you and your wife on the celebration of your blessed union, may you have another 38 years together.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    38 years of wedded bliss (Congradulations)that is allmost unheard of now days. It takes a lot of commitment to make it that far. Heres hopeing that you all make it another 38. GOD BLESS and keep up the good work.

10. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Congratulations on your Anniversary Mike and Sandra. 38 years is a long time with one spouse, and it took a lot of understanding from you both, to stay together that long. My wife and I are working on 29 years and it hasn't always been easy, but by the grace of GOD we have managed to stay together, and our love for one another has grown every year...

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on 38 years brother, that is a great feat.

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Congrats Mike Ill be hitting 9 years in 13 days.

13. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Congratulations and Happy Anniversary Mike and Sandra!

There is so much truth in what you said about forgiveness, how deep love goes, etc. My hat's off to you for getting it right. As you said it is not easy. My parents will be celebrating their 56th the Saturday of the National. It was a rough and rocky road but their love is stronger than ever. I can't begin to say how proud I am of them. I am sure your family feels the same about you.

May you have another 38 years that are even better than the last 38!

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mike & Sandra
    Congratulations on your 38th Anniversary!

You two dated much longer than us. You may have missed my post back early this year. Not sure if you were a member then.

Hope you and Sandra have many more wonderful Anniversaries!

And thanks for sharing the great news.

15. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Congratulations!
    A very encouraging post indeed!
    Sounds like you have figured out what God intended a marriage to be about.

God Bless you both.
    Give her a hug and a kiss from all of us.
    _

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Congratulations on 38 years of marriage. I hope you two have many more years together and from the sound of it you will.

17. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Congradulations on 38 years of marriage. Its a long road but the ride is amazing! Im very proud of you.

18. minnies_moocher

minnies_moocher New Member

State:
    Coldspring, Texas
    Happy Anniversary To both of you you deserve it. I hope you have many more years to come. Good luck and GOD bless.

19. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Happy aniversary!

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Mike, firstly, I would like to congratulate you and Sandra on your anniversary! Second I would like thank you for the words of inspiration! I hope that God allows my wife, Miriam and, I to stay together for as long as humanly possible! Being in the military (and especially now with the high deployment tempo) I have seen and known many couples who dont make it for whatever reasons. I am thankful for the encouragement that your words have given me in this post. Thanks to you both and, have a special one!