Wed. Oct. 8th report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by 66TBONE, Oct 9, 2008.

1. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well guys i decided after the meet-n-greet sun. that i would try a mid week fishin trip back to the james. I put out of osbourne about 11:30am at the peak of the high tide. My plan was to fish most of the outgoing tide till it went slack and then pull out and go home. We didn't do alot just about 8-10 fish all under 10lbs. We had anchored down by the 295 bridge for the last of the running tide. It was already after 4pm and we were just about ready to leave.decided to stay till the tide went completely slack and just enjoy the nice weather. didn't expect what happened next. i had my 2 big penn clickers out with big baits and was using a med.hev spin cast with smaller pieces of cut shad. threw it out in the channel for that last cast before we leave. A few minutes later 4:55pm the rod tip wiggled. I looked at my bud and said hey look another little bait stealer. i was gonna reel it in and go,gave it a min. then i got up to reel it in and BAM, the rod went down and it was on Wow what a battle! 15lb test line and let him run run run. It tooK 1 hour and 3 minutes to land the big bruiser! 44inches close to 50lbs! my new pb! I need to stick with the big poles and Hey Jeff I need a bigger net too!:smile2: Good luck on the water and see ya guys out there soon!:roll_eyes: p.s. took pics but they are on a disposible cam will post when get developed! 1 of them will be used for my avatar!

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great job Tom! Congrats on the bruiser cat and new PB. My PB also came from the 295 area. Good to hear you were able to land him on such light gear. Probably want to beef it up, b/c you just never know on the James. Look forward to the pics.

The bite has been really good lately. I don't remember it being so good this early last year. I hope that is an indication this will be a banner year on the river.

3. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    If you beef it up you should really do it i want to see a new record get a penn 4/0.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah I hear that area is great for the big one, I wish I was there.....
    Great Catch, can't wait to see the pics.

5. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia

Shoud say not a GEARHEAD......
    Not that I know alot about ALL the reels on the market, but I thought his reels were a good size. I have a few Abu 6500's and one of his Penns that I reeled in dwarfed my reel. I don't know maybe Abu needs to start making an 8000 for these James River Blue cats.:wink:

6. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    When I got off work Wednesday morning, me and Bryant went out, put in at DG, went up by Jimmy Deans place for a little while, then ended up at our spot at Rivers Bend. got a couple little bity cats, the most exciting thing we saw was the Coast Guard Ship come through. we left right after that. Sorry we missed ya. Congrats, can't wait to see the pics!

7. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We saw the big coast gaurd ship also. We were down towards Presquille at the time.

8. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Great job! Nice fish, cant wait to see the photos.

I still am flirting with disaster, I have yet to get a bigger net. Kinda feel like I'll jinx myself. I'll tighten up and get one soon.