Wed. night report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Sep 11, 2008.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hit the river (D.G.) around 7:30p for a little test run on the night lights.

PERFECT! They were better than I had hoped and seeing them on the river instead of in the driveway was nice. Thanks to all for the ideas on my other post.

Well we only got to fish for about 45min before the drizzle became rain, steady rain, lines up lets go! We had one good run on a clicker but set the hook and nobody was home. Thus leading to my question of the day:

Do you use "clickers" for blues? A guy at work told me today he will not use a bait clicker for blues and a very well known guide he went with does not use them. He said he uses open face reels engaged in the rod holders and when the tip goes down its fish on.

I have 2 clickers and 4 spinning rods. Looking back I have missed a bunch of fish on the clicks........P.S. Let them run or set the hook quick?

So many questions:

P.S. still no replies on the goldfish question (post)?
    Advanced thanks to the B.O.C.:cool2:

2. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Jeff, If your Anchoring up, and tight lining Try using a Full Circle hookin 8/0 to 10/0. Let the fish load up the rod and when you see it jump and it gets burried, and line is peeling off the reel then pick up the rod out of the holder and fight the fish. Im sold on them . They get alittle getting used to but hook up ratios arre over 95% since I switched 5 years ago. The fish hook themselves just have to be patient, if you grab the rod too soon you will hit blanks all night. GIver er a try and let me know how it worked

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like the idea of a clicker I have them on several reels, I was bummed when I bought a couple that didn't have the clicker. I've have yet to have a run more than a couple clicks anyway, so I have no real answer. I figure in any case that when I fish that it would make a difference I'd deal with it. I like to watch the rods, I've used a bell, thats ok too. I just know that when a fish pull the clicker it's a harder pull then the bell. With my rod in a holder and no clicker or bell the rod pulls so hard there has to be a fish on.....I SAY FISH ON!!!.....
    good luck

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think just try them....I'm in no position to catch my bait. If I'm lucky I can get some little panfish at Bryan Park ...if not I just go to the Tan A market and buy some eel or Kroger for shrimp. It's alot cheaper than nightcrawlers.
    As of lately I'm getting skunked by the senior circuit on hotdogs and lunchmeat.....So what do I know....:sad2:

5. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The only time I use clickers for blues is when I go to sleep. even then I still have the spool engaged with drag set a little looser. the drag is still tight enogh for the fish to hook itself. a fish like the one in your avatar picture will wake you plenty fast enough. Now flatheads, a diferent story. I am a firm believer in clickers for flatheads. they seem to know when tension is too tight. Ideally you should freespool and watch, but they hit and run so fast your reels would backlash so bad. Clicker til you can get the rod out of the holder, then knock it off and let it run a bit. Those big blues are not hook shy!

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    When I started going after big Blue cats several years ago, I bought my first Shimano charter special and a couple of shimano baitrunner 6500 spinning reels. I would throw out and leave the reels disengaged so the cats could pick up and run like crazy with the circle hooks. I was missing probably half my fish when I engaged the reel to allow the circle hook to do their work. I posted your same question here and two guides were nice enough to tell me, leave the reels engaged and with enough drag so that the fish hooks itself but not so much drag that you break your line, rod, or rod holder. I took that advice and feel my hook up rate is in the 90 % range with the serious pull downs from quality fish. The ones that don't hook up are dink 5-10 pounders that don't have the hook all the way in their mouth or the hook point turned and got stuck in the bait instead of the jaw. I do put the clickers on as I really like the music. Since I don't fish much at night I don't need clickers as a "line out alarm". I do it for the added excitement of a big pull down. Good luck.

7. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    My luck so far has been good runs on the clickers utill I reach for, or pick up the rod. They may not be hook shy but they seem to have someone watching me. It is freaky sometimes.

8. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    The only time the clicker is ever engaged on my reels is when im napping... Set the drag so the fish can still pull the line, but not to tight that the line will break. The rule of thumb i use is set the drag and pull with my hand. If the rod comes out the holder then too tight.... My hook up ration is outstanding.... Not many cats that bite get away.. I use a circle hook as well.. Generally a 10/0.... Its just my opinion an dhow I fish....

9. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Sorry to sound dumb but I am assuming that once you have the fish on if you have your drag set that loose in the rod holder when the fish is on you have to adjust it accordingly?:eek:oooh:

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish with 40 pound Berkeley Big Game Monofilament line. My drag is set at about 14 pounds in the rod holder and when fighting fish. I hardly ever change settings while fighting a fish. Afraid I will over tighten the drag and break my line. The exception is my Shimano Charter Specials. I have three plus one big clunky Shimano TLD 20. I can set the drag at two different settings. These are lever drag reels. I ususually play the fish with the drag set in the strike position. If its a real big fish I can push the lever all the way up as far as it goes and know that I am still within safe limits of drag without breaking the line.

If you are using circle hooks, I would suggest reeling against the fish while the rod is still in the rod holder. Do that for 5 seconds or so and you will get a good hook set. Picking the rod out of the holder is a great time to get a little slack in your line and lose fish when you use J Hooks. Circle hooks are my choice as they are forgiving of our screw ups. Unless the hook has gouged out a huge hole in the cheek, its almost impossible to fall out even with occasional slack line. Good luck!

11. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Usually I have one rod in the holder and I'm holding the other...it's usually the one that I am not holding that takes off, so I set the drag just a little loose, enough that if I get a good pull the string pulls, but not so much that the current takes off with it. I don't know what the 'pounds' would be for setting the drag, if I had to guess it's probably around 12-15# though .
    When I got my first big one, (I've only caught 3 big ones) I was re-rigging one of my rods, (I'm funny about the rig set up on my stuff...so when someone would borrow, and rig it their way, I have to re-do it) and wham, the other rod got hit, no playing with it, a tug here and a tug there, just a hard hit, and the drag started to sing...It was at that point that I fell in love with the circle hooks. :wink: hope this helped.