Web blue satellite set up.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by zoelife, Oct 4, 2006.

1. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    After 2 days of studying and getting installed we finally have a decent internet connection.We went with wild blue satellite,and has it been interesting,after getting it hooked up to one computer we had to hook it up to another computer through a router..we decided to go with a wireless router and I can say we accomplished the goal without too much muss and fuss.Never had to do that before,and at least I have learned something new..:smile2:
    What a long strange trip its been:crazy:
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    How about some details on how that setup works? I've been interested in the satellite service, but am still hoping to get dsl real soon.:smile2:

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    When the wind blows does it drop out or slow down?
    Bill

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    And what about big thunderstorms? When I used to have sattelite TV, that's when I would lose the signal although it was usually short lived. Just curious.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I would also like to know how well it does. And what you think of it after a month or so,
    Anything would beat dialup.
    Pete

6. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well,it is basically like satellite TV,if the dish is set up right,it should not cause any problems.I do believe that it will get drop-outs during storms,but usually,when A storm rolls around,we unhook from the comp anyway...so we dont lose much there...it may fade on cloudy days,but wasnt cloudy today..:)
    Install was free,BUT,parts were $299..and an extra $100 for pole mount,due to our trees it could not be roof mounted.The least expensive pack,the "value pack" runs $49 month plus tax.BUT when you consider we were paying $100 month for 2 phone lines,1 which had a comp hooked up.ONLY....we think it will pay for itself quickly.we are going to go with a cel phone,.we hardly use the phone anyway..
    We have my comp,and my wifes comp hooked up to it through a router.so we are both online on good lines..
    The upload speed averages 100KBS,and download is roughly 500KBS...
    on the lines we had we were lucky to get 36KBS..and after a rqain,forget about online for at least 2 days....
    They are getting ready to launch a new satellite in feb. they are getting full on these.BUT from what I read,they are the only ones doing that...
    I will keep everyone updated on how it is working...
    There is a lag when going to a page..it is while the signal has to get to the sat.from comp then back to ground based sat..
    My wife likes to download church messages from a church site,and before they just buffered,,,and took forever...Now they are almost instantaneous.
    And we use a music download site..We used to maybe get one or two songs in an hour...well,last night the 15 year old had at least 8 songs in 15 MINUTES!!!!!:cool2: LOLO...
    And so far,so good.My wife called the phone comp on the one line and said GOOD-BYE!!!!!!!..one more line to go....
    So far we are well pleased.....
    Just look up wild blue..
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Just my luck.
    (We apologize, but due to overwhelming demand, we are not currently performing installations in your area.)

8. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Anything you need to know Just ask me. What kind of package did u go with? Did you know that it is not unlimited and if you add it to two computers it takes away ur usage? Well thought you should know.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wonder, Would this work on a motorhome.

10. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Patricia,not sure what you mean by takes away ones usage?could you please elaborate?
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin.

11. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    If you look at your Brouchure. It shows a chart on your broadband with also usage. If you got the Computers hooked upon the same satillite but through a divider. It takes away your usage that you pay for. You only have a so much that you can use for one month at a time.
    But if you are not online has much then it will be ok. I worked with Wild Blue for 6 months. for Weeks Enterprize out of Star City, Arkansas. I had learned alot and my personnal Opinion is DSL is a good way to go if you are on the web most of the time. . Yes I agree Wild Blue is great for faster speed. But you can also have DSL as a back up. So when you have an email that shows up on Wild BLue that says your Usage is Low. Then go to DSL for a back up plan. Anything else Just ask me.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  13. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    WildBlue sets usage thresholds on the amount of data you can upload and download within stated time periods. If you exceed these thresholds, WildBlue will temporarily limit the speed at which you can send and receive data over the WildBlue access network. You will still be able to use the WildBlue Internet access service but your speed will be slower. In cases of extreme and continued violation of the FAP limitations, your service may be terminated. WildBlue may use other traffic management and prioritization tools to help ensure equitable access to the WildBlue network for all customers. Your WildBlue Internet access is not guaranteed and is subject to this FAP.
    Based on an analysis of typical customers, we have set a rolling 30-day limit on data usage per customer, called a Usage Threshold.
    We will notify you via your WildBlue contact email address if your Usage Total reaches 80% or more of the Usage Threshold. If at any time your Usage Total is above the Usage Threshold, your usage has violated the FAP and we will reduce your WildBlue access speeds, typically to 128 kbps in the downstream (from the Internet to you) and 28 kbps in the upstream (from you to the Internet).
    WildBlue FAP Monthly Usage Thresholds​
    Value Pak
    Select Pak
    Pro Pak
    Upload Threshold (MB) 1
    5,000​
    Download Threshold (MB) 2
    17,000​

I can get into the Wild Blue Portal and show you more if you would like.

14. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    Danny, I don't see why it wouldn't. DirecTv & Sirius both work on rvs. There is even an automatic tracking dish for some more dollars.

15. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thank you patricia for clarifying,yea,we did know about that,and we dont think between the 2 of us we can possibly use up that much in a month...I have been doing quite a few downloads,and have maybe went 1/8th of what I have for that..
    Me and my wife think that that would really only affect people who maybe have a website,or download mega amounts of files...
    And as far as DSL,we wish..we are in the middle of nowhere practically.It is the next best thing..and it has been good so far...
    As far as it saying one cant get subscribed to the service..they will be launching a new satllite in feb...
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

16. harecutter

harecutter New Member

State:
    Sebastapol,Texas
    Great site,logged in for info. on bait trap.Found out alot about satellite connection.Thanks really helpful........
    Rod

17. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I don't know anything about Wildblue but I have Hughesnet satellite with a wireless router and all the problems thats been mentioned about Wildblue I've not heard about Hughesnet and nothing in their phamplets says anything about limited usage. I'm also in an area that has no DSL so I had to go to satellite for high speed.

18. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hi, we went with the Wild Blue partly because the equipment costs were half of what Hughes Net charges. Also, we read that Hughes was going to(or maybe already has done this) the same sort of spot-beam technology that Blue uses. From what we've read, most of the troubles with Wild Blue were due to 2 factors: badddd installation or overload on certain select spot beams, which is why they're launching another satellite next year and have temporarily halted new service in some areas. We've only had it here for 5 days or so, but so far, so good! We check our download useage regularly and I don't think we will ever have a problem with exceeding the maximum allowed amount... I mean, you'd have to really be downloading constantly to even come close. We've only ever had dial-up before, so this is like cruising at warp speed!

Hope

19. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well,so far so good.no big problems to report,and just last night I had downloaded a big file called orbital,it is a shuttle simulator,2 times...and I went to look at what we have used so far,is really barely touching our usage,or FAP.
    We have yet to be "KNOCKED OFF" the service due to clouds or rain-storms,although it rained for 2 days recently.At least we know we have it as opposed to the phone line we had,which would definetly be down at this point.
    We do get a little slow-down at peak hours,but not much to notice.And it is fast enough that our youngest can multi-play online games with others.
    Peace and PLenty,
    Kevin

20. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I live east of Marlow OK, slow dial-up! How does everyone with the Web Blue system think of it now?
    Thanks,
    Mark