Weatherproof Control Panel

Discussion in 'Boating' started by KansasKatter, Oct 13, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was trying to think of a way to make all my switches, and fuse box weatherproof on my Jon boat, without really spending an arm and a leg. I was at the local "junk store" today, and came up with a plan.

I purchased an old Ammo Box, it is about 10" square, and 3" deep. It is weather tight, and the top opens up 180 degrees when unlatched. I am going to mount this to the transom, and put all my switches on the face of the box, and the fuse box on the inside of the lid. It will keep everything out of the weather, and nice and dry.

I will post pics when I get finished.....

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sounds interesting. Do you not have a console? Cabelas sells a waterproof switch panel that has fuses built into it. That's one thing I wish my new boat had not come with was a switch panel. I'd like to install one of the waterproof ones but that particular one won't fit in the factory location on my dash.

Post up what you come up with when you get moving along with it.

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    No console for me, just a tiller 25 hp mercury. I am going to try to work on it tomorrow, if I get the floor done, I will keep you posted.

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    THats a real good idea...
    I bet that will look real cool on your jon boat.
    ~ Are'nt most marine grade switches water proof to begin with?

I am currently fixing up the ol pontoon.. I have been debaiting on replacing the existing helm and the switches on it.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Water resistant possibly. As in they can take a soaking every now and then if you get caught out in the rain. But if left to sit outside in the weather full time with voltage applied, they will fail eventually. The better made ones will be fairly water resistant and have heavy brass contacts instead of cheap plated ones. Best thing to do for an outside kept boat is keep the switches covered at the very least.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    The switched themselves are, but on a jon boat were just mounted on a place of aluminum, with all the connections and wires exposed. At least this way they stay dry on the back side too.