Weather

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Deftones2015, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Deftones2015

Deftones2015 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is right now an ok time to fish for catfish? A friend of mine said it's a waste of time because a front is coming through and they wont bite? Also, does anyone else fish from shore? All the posts I read seem like everyone uses a boat lol.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    THats a pretty big debate on here, I have caught fish before, during, and after a front. Also got skunked in all 3 circumstances as well. Fish aren't just gonna stop eating, the bite may slow down, but the active fish are somewhere you just have to find them. Alot of boat and bank fisherman on here, its not all about boating. Welcome to the BOC.:wink:

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I agree with Travis. I have caught them all hours of the day, before, during, and after a storm. It does seem like things are a little better after a good rain sometimes.

4. Deftones2015

Deftones2015 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I should have just went then haha, sounds like I wasted my time sitting inside. I guess a good rule of thumb is it's not a waste of time being outside when all you'd be doin anyways is sitting inside :smile2:

I really need to figure out what I'm going to use for bait as well. I have some stink bait that I haven't tried yet, but should I use fresh bluegill and shad or can I use frozen from the bait store?

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    You can use the frozen shad but pretty much anything is usually better fresh than frozen.There are certain juices/hormones/chemicals present in freshly killed baitfish that disippate rapidly and aren't as prevalent in frozen and thawed bait. Good luck!

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well for what it is worth I fished last night for two hours from the bank and I caught one 3# channel and hooked in to one that got off.

7. autogyroenthusiast

autogyroenthusiast New Member

State:
    Ohio
    After a good rain, find a cut bank or a place where drainage water is running into the river or lake. Use nightcrawlers. Good luck.