Weather was iffy today...

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by wreckingcrew, Apr 26, 2008.

1. wreckingcrew

wreckingcrew New Member

State:
    Iowa
    but the fishin' was good.

I caught the two biggest channel cats I've ever caught today. Me and my dad went out to what we thought was a good spot. Turned out to be a really good spot. I knew it held some good sized fish. I've been there several times over the last couple years and lost some good sized fish. That's when I decided to gear up so I had a better chance.

I'll try to attach a picture or two.

Attached Files:

2. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A couple nice channels its always a good day when you go fishing with your dad. an thanks for the pictures also welcome to the BOC it is a very interesting sight Larry.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First Welcome to the BOC /Soc.Great place to get spoiled real quick.
    Those are a couple of nice channels there.Now please lets here the rest of the story.What kind of strucker was they in ,what type of bait and on a bank or boat.

Not trying to be nosy just need all the info I can get to try and persuade the kitty cats to bite.seems like they have lock jaw for me.

Again WELCOME!!

4. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC!

Great fish, CONGRATS! I have not been out yet but man I am ready to go! After seeing those cats I'm really ready to go!

Phil

5. wreckingcrew

wreckingcrew New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We were bank fishing. We both would like a boat, but neither can swing it right now. Rod and reel always. Wind was pretty bad blowing into us. Lots of debris in the water. The spot is down river from a grain elevator where they fill barges. There is an irrigation pump station that creates a "hole". I think that's where I pulled the two big cats from. Caught on shad guts. There were some BIG carp rolling around about 5 to 10 feet from the bank too.

We were there a couple days earlier and my dad caught a good sized channel cat before I could even get a line in the water. Then I lost a monster. Broken line. :angry: Dad got another decent one after that, but he spit the hook as I was grabbing for him. Then we got a couple little guys and nothing else. Let the one good cat go that day.

I don't know what these two big ones weighed. I don't have a scale and I'm not really worried about bragging on weight until I catch a 20 + pounder. I don't think these cats were that big.