Weather Radio's

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Leakyboat, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Do any of you carry weather radio's?If so what kind?
    Ernie

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've thought about getting one & keeping w/ me this year. I am terrified of bad storms. I think it has to do w/ living on the border of Xenia, OH, land O' the 'Nado! :0a2:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I think they're an excellent idea, especially during the summer thunderstorm season. I have a vhf radio in my larger boat. When I go in the smaller jon boat, I often carry a scanner, or a gmrs radio (clips on belt or in a shirt pocket) with NOAA weather channels.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have a VHF hand-held from West Marine. It has weather channels and I'll sometimes listen in to the barges when I am fishing below a lock or when they are doing "bargy" stuff in the river. Very educational and sometimes quite entertaining...W

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have one i carry that i picked up at radio shack for about $10. it comes in really handy especially for checking the barometer. it updates, and i try to check the barometer about once an hour. thoses tackle box barometers are useless because everytime you change elevations you have to re-adjust it. gander mountain had a really cool option you could add to your cell phone which included weather conditions,forecasts, radar loops, satellite images, and moon phases. only problem is it cost's $10 a month! i'll stick with my old weather radio

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I am glad someone post this, I was wanting to get a weather radio but have no idea which one to get. :confused: :confused:

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I work in Radio Shack and we have several. I also have a hand held scanner I take, but we have nice weather radio's also. Your local shack should have about any of them you want.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have a couple of those gmrs radios with weather channel. Works pretty good for me. I would like to get one of those combination ones that can be powered by winding, solar, battreries or 12volt, think they double as a flashlight too!

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My wife bought me a neat portable radio/tv/flashlight/weather/lantern/recharger built in for rechargeable batteries. She ordered it from QVC for about $35. Works great!

Attached Files:

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Sounds like quite a deal to me! Does it have a tv screen or just the channels?

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's the info on it, it does have a tv screen.

Great for camping, this portable device from GPX is equipped with a black and white TV, an AM/FM radio, and a long list of emergency features.

Measures 11-1/2"H x 5-1/4"L x 9-1/2"W.

FCC approved. UL listed. 90-day LMW.

White/Black/Orange. Plastic.

Made in China.
    black and white TV with 5" diagonal display
    AM/FM radio
    instant weatherband with fine-tuning control
    emergency siren
    lantern
    removable flashlight with recharging circuit
    two adjustable rotary fluorescent lamps
    Ni-Cd rechargeable battery
    built-in charger
    AC adapter
    DC adapter
    audio/video input jacks
    compass
    thermometer
    carrying handle
    adjustable/removable shoulder strap
    requires 9 C batteries, not included

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    nice and fancy unit. I'm lookin for one that is just a plain, simple, weather radio

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thank you Ramrod! I will have to keep my eyes open for that one!

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I carry a All Hazards Weather Radio made by Oregon Scientific. It was about $19.00 at BPS, very good unit. Monitors US Emergency weather bulletins and warnings and forcasts. S.A.M.E. allows you to select broadcasts for 6 counties has a clock and calendar and snooze alarm , also Audible and visual alert. It's hand held and you can put it on standby so you don't run the battery down.

As posted on another thread, I think everyone should carry one. Just might save your life someday. Storms blow up very quick in the spring and with this small unit, it'll give you a heads up on what's coming your way.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    holy crap i just realized i have one of those t.v. things! i just went to the basement to get it. my grandma give it to me for a birthday present about a year ago. i never took it out of the box to see what all it had, y'know how pesents can be, it wound up in the basement and even got put in a garage sale this summer for $10. thankfully it didnt sell.