Weather Fronts

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salty1, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Which is better ??? Fishing before or after a change in the weather....

2. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    In my personal experiences, it's best before the change, unless it's a sudden swing to much warmer temperature. If you mean a cold-front, or right before a rain, yes, I think fishing before the weather change is better.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I agree with Gibby

4. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    having to be out there and having to overcome the effects of fronts I've kinda got it figured out as to what happens to aggressivley feeding fish in the upper ends of the lake. when you're locating fish that are feeding up in 2 to 10 ft of water and a front moved through ... the following day they won't be there as they'll pull back to a little deeper water for some reason ... the severity of the front plays a big part in this also and there are a few overriding factors as well ... when a weak front moves through and you're catching a lot of fish in 2 to 4 ft water prior to the front then those same fish will move back a ways to 5 to 8 ft water depths with a total vacancy of where they were before. a few overriding factors could be a previous flood that's attracted them to a current eddy or flooded area where there's a current eddy in freshly flooded vegetation where there's a good number of shad holding in that area ... the fish will stay there if there's a lot to keep them there in other words. now if it's a really bad front where it comes rolling in hard and drops the temp 10 degrees or more they'll pull way back and probably won't even stay in the current eddy over flooded vegetation etc etc ... now when he stronger fronts come through they'll pull back even further and usually won't hold together in their pod like formations and causes them to scatter as they pull back making it tough to find a good number of fish in one area ... now a place to go when you're really workin them over in the upper end is to pull back to the deepest water within a few miles and locate the shad ... the shad will also pull back when these fronts hit and I think that's one of the major reasons the fish pull back. when you're fishing 2 to 10 ft of water and the strong front moves through then pull back a few miles to deeper water and the ones that were resident there will still be there along with a bunch that are pulling back off the shallow flats making it a good fishing day. I've seen a lot of folks allowing how they quit biting after fronts and that's not the case ... they just relocate is all ... where once was fish there is no longer any there so its pretty simple to figure out why they've quit biting in that area and that's because the food has moved out and the fish followed or they both moved as their instincts predict they move. now to locate fish after the stronger fronts comes through is to pull back to deep water and locate shad and what you're lookin for is shad that's broken up and not real thick ... thick but not uniform looking on your fish finder ... when you go through an area at 2 to 3 mph you should see gaps in the shad where there's fish feeding on them and that's the only reason they'll be busted up unless there's cormorants around ... if there's cormorants around they'll be busted up just like fish bust them up ... if there's not been anything messing with them for 15 to 20 minutes they'll get back into tight formation and this is one of my mos productive fish location methods is by how the shad look on the fish finder. now the fish I'm talking about mostly is bluecat ... not flathead or channels as they're not nearly as much an open water fish as the bluecat are and that's my main target species. most everyone drift fishes for bluecat but I hardly ever drift as I can tell where they are by the way the shad look so I don't have to drift through an area to find the blues. when I find a good amount of shad that's busted up I'll drop anchor and fish and catch fish until I haven't caught one for 20 to 30 minutes ... if there's a time lapse of that amount I know the fish have moved on ... blues are an open water fish and usually don't hold in one area when they're feeding ... they move in packs sorta and will relate to stuff like ledges and humps so sitting on those will eventually have fish come through but I don't like waiting on eventually. a few days after the fronts the fishing will go back to normal and you can go back to the previous areas they're hunting up around current eddys and what not.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I prefer before. Many times afterwards you are facing a rising barometer and "bluebird skies".

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Anytime i can go fishing ---its a good time to fish.:smile2: I do however prefer to go before a front moves in with a falling barometer.