Weather - does it effect catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigblaze, Mar 23, 2006.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Does anyone have any opinions on how the weather effects the cats behavior...

I know walleyes have very sensitive eyes and they feed much better with overcast skies and a little chop on the water....

I was wandering about catfish....with cats being somewhat more active at night I was wandering if they may feed better during overcast conditions...

:0a36:

2. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    nothing cast in stone, but...........
    i seem to do better with clear skys, new moon and pressure not dropping.
    the water rising slightly seems to help the bite too. but i have caught nice fish right before an aproaching storm too, but not every time.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I may be wrong on this one, however, IMO it affects the fisherman more than the cats. I seem to have better luck if the wind is blowin' a bit. On still nites fishin' from the bank the bite is slow. On a windy nite the bite is really good. Temps. really don't change the bite much here in Texas. In December we were catchin' channels in 4' of water just as we were doin' in July.
    Brite sunny days seem to make the fish move in some if the water temp. is on the climb, but if the temp. is stable they seem to go a lil deeper.
    I guess the fisherman has to change tactics but I feel the bite is still on, ya just have to adjust to the weather to make it happen.

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I think weather does have an effect on the fish, and us too. While I think catfish might bite better with a stable weather pattern-not too hot or cold. As T-Bone points out it really matters how we fish or don't fish. I have caught just as many fish during the day as I have at night. And I have caught catfish in very hot and dry weather. I think if you can stand whatever type of condition is present, you can catch catfish.

5. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Well the fish are already wet. But ive caught cats in the rain, ive caught cats in the sun, ive caught cats with wind, and ive caught cats when it was calm. Sometimes i like to blame the weather, just to have an excuse for getting skunked.

6. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    all i know is here in wv i have yet to catch a flat in the rain, and im not one to be run off cause of a little rain.

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    the bite was on this morning... We fished for 3 hours before we could find the fish but as soon as we found them we all started getting hits.....i landed a 19lb blue and a small 2-3 lbs blue. not to mention the missed bites.

Then it happened, the winds picked up, the skys darkened and the bite was OFF! We marked alot of fish but they all had lock jaw....

the proof is in the pudding...weather DEFFINITELY effects cats behavior!

8. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I've had some of my best luck with it pouring rain outside at night. I thought the hard rain would turn the fishing off, but maybe the rain hitting the water helped the bite:confused: :confused:

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have caught catfish in all different types of weather conditions. I think you need to change tactics depending on what the weather is doing but Im no expert

10. Gone Catfishing

Gone Catfishing New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Weather affects all kinds of fish, including catfish, just in different ways as far as I know... gotta tailor your fishing style/tactics to the fish on whatever day/night you're fishing on.

11. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    For channels I have done the best, after a rain. It seems to get the cats to feeding. I think they are looking for a food source that gets washed into the water . This works really well where small streams enter the lake.

12. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    I have seem to have better luck a bay or 2 befor a cold front moves in when the weather has been mid 70s during the day 50s at night and when the wind is blowing from the west or south west call me crazy but its true.Dont know howit is anywhere else but here in NC thats IMO the best time.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have tracked and studied my journals of my trips and can find no ryhme or reason as to why fish bite good and why they bite bad. I have had good and bad days in various conditions.

There were two tournaments on my lake this past weekend with one before the front past and one the next day after it passed. We had a low pressure system with heavy storms and a falling barometer moving in from the west. It should have been a good time to fish based on the barometer, but both tournaments were average catches.

Does weather affect catfish? I believe it does, but I have yet to figure out how to capitalize on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Soupy_1us

Soupy_1us New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, Ole Grand Pa Sale always said : When the wind is from the South, it blows the hook in their mouth and when the wind is from the East, they bite the least.... When it's from the West, they bite the best and when it's from the North , they bite the worst:... Go figure !

15. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have also wondered how the weather actually affects cats. i have caught them in all kinds of fishing conditions and have also failed to see just how it affects them. i do know the morming bite seems to last longer on an overcast day. i have observed this many times. a buddy and i were fishing a local lake one winter and it was a partly cloudy day. the clouds were scattered and everytime the sun would poke out, the cats would stop biting. the sun would go back behind the clouds and the bite would pick up again. that pattern was probably due to how the cloud cover was affecting the baitfish i'd say. i do know that cold fronts affect fish negatively but i have had some real good days cattin right after a cold front has passed. the fish do seem to run smaller on those days though.