Weather and Fishing

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bluesbro, Feb 9, 2006.

1. bluesbro

bluesbro New Member

State:
    tex
    Questions. What type of weather do you perfer for Channels, Blues and Flatheads? Does it vary between species? What about wind direction?
    What type of moon situation do you perfer? What other variables do you perfer when looking to make that special trip?

2. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    I prefer fishing in the summer(prespawn). When fishing in the winter you have to keep in mind that the fish are going to be in the deepest water, or by a warm water dishcharge at a plant lake or river. Ive read that for every 10 degree drop in temp a catfish's stomach drops one third of its size due to an enzyme.
    As for moon phases ive heard both sides of the story(for flatheads).

1 being that since they are nocturnal, they dont like the light put off by a full moon.
    2 is that they can see better from the light.

Now i do believe that flatheads are nocturnal, but i have also seen many of them caught during the middle of the day. To me proves that I would have a better chance catching one on a full moon phase.

3. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I fish fer channels and i prefer the colder months.
    1 their bellies are plump,each and every 1 i catch has a full belly like a bear gorginmg hisself fer winter.

I find fishing ahead of a cold front is always good.I fish a tidal river and wind direction doesn't seem to matter.My main focuses are
    tide,coldfront/barometr falling,and moon phase.

I prefer the outgoing tide but do well on the incoming also.Falling barometer always produces.Thjree days before,during and after full or new moon are best times.LOL

NMow when all these come together and i'm fortunate enough to be out there,its always a great day fishing!

Also,i've been out there when none of these conditions were met and done extremely well!But i have noticed its more consistent when one of these conditions are met and when are three are met its always good.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I perfer cooler weather, gets the cats going IMO, I like the wind to blow in my face around 8-10mph if fishing from the bank. Seems to help move the cat to shallow water for the shad. I fish lakes, so any time I can get out there is my fav. time. even if it's 40* or 98*, I really like the night fishing best. Three days before or after a full moon. It's neat to be out there on the nite of the full moon, but I feel like the light may keep the cats away from the shallow and them seem to spook easier if there are no clouds.

5. bluesbro

bluesbro New Member

State:
    tex
    I spent many a night on the Colorado River running trotlines. We tied our lines to willow limbs and attacted a cow bell that would ring when a yellowcat would take of the big perch. We would then wait a little while before going out to rebait our lines and land the fish. You can learn a lot from fishing this way. The darker the night the better. You would hear the bells ring prior to the moon coming up or after the moon went down. While the moon was up you would hear the occasional small rings letting you know that a gar was stripping your line. During a full moon the fishing is great also. The wind usually blows hard during that time and you have a great opportunity to catch a big fish right in the middle of the day so rebait your lines in the morning during that moon phase. Prime areas were deep hole with huge rocks. Funny how sometimes you would catch all your fish on one side of the river in one area and on the other a few hundred years away. Ocassionally you would find a hole that would produce fish out in the middle of the river but not often. I have never had a lot of luck catching yellowcat with the river on a rise but I have heard that many people do. Trotlines are not much use during that time the way I fish, so I would love to hear some ideals as how some of our anglers catch fish on a river during a rise. As far as bluecats they seem to bite most of the time on our central Texas lakes if you employ the stategy of fishing jugs on the wind blown flats near the channel drop offs most of the year. I do not have a tried and true strategy for catching the blues during their spawn but I intend on moving up out of the lake into the rivers and see if I can have any success.