Wearing Life Jackets

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MRR, Feb 10, 2007.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I Know most on here say they wear one while in boat but what I really want to know is How Many wear Them if They Are Bank Fishing? Some of the place that I bank fish has some pretty good current like up at Saverton Dam.You fall in there your in big trouble.I hadn't really thought about it until I was up there alone one day and got to thinkng.As swift as this water is if a person trips and falls in he could be in trouble.So how many wear them while bank fishing?May be stupid Question but really curious to answers.

2. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother John;
    I do! Which is why I have the light weight, best you can buy that I know of, Mustang Auto/Manual, 35#+.:smile2:
    I know for a fact that I don't swim as well as I used to be able to do 25+ years ago and seeing how I am MADLY IN LOVE with My Raven, I plan on staying around as long as The CREATOR will let me so I always try to "Be Prepared" that way nothing usually happens as opposed to what happens when I am not prepared!!!
    If Raven is with me, hers is a bit bulkier, but it is always clipped to her if not actually on. This year, I plan on getting her one like mine so that "bulkiness" will not be a consideration!:smile2:
    Hope this helps ya. :smile2:

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Never thought of it but GREAT idea I don`t worry about swimming But hurting myself on a root or something is something else

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont wear a life jacket, but I dont worry about falling in :lol:

5. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I new a farmer who had a rock quarry pit and he would only let you fish it if you had a vest on....I did one day. hot as heck but did catch a 26 inch bass......If you fall in its 120 feet straight down...

6. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well I don't see any people wear life jacket by near dam. my opinion I don't really wear life jacket all times.. But I don't wear it on boat either.. But I have two life jacket on the boat, if Warden stop by me and ask to wear it so I will put it on...

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thats A good Idea John,I know I make the Grand kids wear one when there on the fishing docks or near the river.Woulden't be a bad idea for me Also.Especialy if Ones been in the sauce(Beer) Celabratin that Bigun that they Never Caught,Right! LOL. J.D.
    :0a24: :0a27:

8. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fishing in DEEP water or by dams or anywhere with a strong current, that is a great idea...

Thank you

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't wear one while bank fishing, but I don't normally fish from "high-risk" banks.

If I am fishing from a dock or pier I am behind a railing or something similar. The actual banks that I fish from are normally the old-fashioned shallow slopes. For river bank fishing I might have to think about it.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I always made the younger grandkids wear them while on the boat dock.

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I am also one that will wear some sort of floation device when in the boat, but not on the shore! The possibility of falling in is REAL and as we get Older must be taken into account. Good Topic MRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

12. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    My son wears one (he can swim) anytime he is around the water. I have him so well trained that I called him to the boat which was banked and he ran up to the tent to get it on.

Last year we were at the lake on a fairly busy weekend. A man was there with his grandchildren and they were playing on a very shallow bank in the water. I am very familiar with this lake and I had commented to my wife that I hope they don't walk off the shelf. It is about a 6 foot sheer drop with undertow. Well when we got home we saw on the news that the little boy was lost and they had divers trying to find the body. (life jackets are provided free at a few places around the lake)

To be honest I don't think that much when it comes to my own safety. I wear one at night on the boat and when it is rough conditions.

Dave

13. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I don't wear one, but I need to start, I have a 5 year old that I want to see grow up.

14. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Where I fish for catfish, rowboats are also available for rent. As the story goes, a couple of schoolgirls once managed to capsize one in the middle of the lake. Being non-swimmers, they started panicking. The ranger grabbed a bullhorn and uttered the immortal words, "STAND UP!"

In short, there's no need for a life jacket there.

-- Rich

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I only fish reservoirs/lakes for cats and a few small streams for trout. nothing I'd ever think of wearing a pfd in. but for those of you more fortunate to have ruff water or fish dams, I'd recommend them.

16. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Hey John, That's a good point about the dam. Growing up spending a lot of time on the sandbars on the Mississippi I've seen two many people who don't respect the river. I can't tell you how many times I've seen men run to a boat and go flying out into the river to rescue someone who had misjudged the current and was in trouble. When I am swimming in the river, I always wear a pfd. But,as you can see from my avatar, I am not smart enough to wear one in the boat. But my kids wear them at all times.