weak fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by tcain24, Jan 14, 2009.

1. tcain24

tcain24 New Member

State:
    Lumb., NC
    I have just thrown away 8 spools of different brands of line. I have believed in cajun line for the last two years until yesterday when I decided to test the breaking strength of what line I had. I cut 3 foot sections of each line I had and tested each line 3 times. I have got a digital scale so I tied one end of the line to the boat and the other end to the scale and pulled the line until it broke and was suprised each time at what poundage the line broke at. I suggest everyone try this experiment, you will be shocked. Suffix 12lb was the only line I had that broke at or above what it was rated for. Needless to say, all of the cajun on my reels will be removed. Brand new spool of 30lb cajun broke three times at 19lbs. Sorry for the long post but thought this was interesting.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Interesting,,, I feel the need to test some stuff,now... Prolly ought to get a scale..
    Looks like I have to go to Cabelas again,,,,:wink:

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Good to know.... Now I have another weekend project.. :cool2:

4. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    I have tested trilene xt, bass pro excel, and p-line. P line and the trilene both broke around 13 lbs for 10 lb line. I have started using p line, its really abraision resistant. However for catfish I just use 50 lb power pro

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    interesting but i love the cajun line myself and ive never had a big one break me off.the flathead in my avatar was caught on 20# cajun line,i have it on all my reels but one.So im happy with it and i think its one of the best mono lines you can get, but i suppose everyone has there own opinion.

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Don't worry Snagged2 will modify this test and find out what is up lol. I personally use 80 braid so am not worried to much. My biggest problem is getting snagged and having to haul in trees.

7. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    I lost interest in Cajun line to. the 25 I had was ok. Didn't get a chance to use the 30. The 8 I had could even take a mild dip in the water. I was bobber fishing with the stuff. At the end of the day it lost so much color it was pink and white in most places. It broke easy and was very noticably brittle.

Slapped on some 12 pound test Pline and never looked back.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i also use 80# so if that breaks at 70# i'm not too concerned :wink:

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got some cajun red 40 lb, hope that holds up. P line is pretty tough, kinda stiff tho. The rest I use is berkley.

10. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I think you may need to adjust your testing method. Just because a 20# line breaks with 10# of static load doesn't mean it's a bad line. I would cast my judgment only after I measured the amount a stretch before the break and also the "snap" strength. 20# line that is stretchy can probably take a quick tug up to 40# or 50#. But your line that breaks at "correct" load will probably break well under what the stretchy line would with she same quick tug. I've used Stren 50# super braid that I could put a huge load on and not break it. But a hard, fast jerk on it would snap it (snags). On the other hand my 20# cajun line can take a HUGE tug and not break, there is also a lot of stretch in it before it hits it breaking point. IMHO the stretch is very much needed and wanted to prevent line breakage when setting hooks and fighting fish that like to shake thier head. I would be VERY interested in your results if you repeated your test with a "stretch before break" and "tug strength" test.

11. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    P-Line has a new xxt high vis green out now. I have had great results with the lighter lb tests in the past so I jumped on 40lb spool of it at BP to try out. I have trouble with knots and seeing the red cajun very well, especially at low light light with my older eyes.

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    Cattn-Jeep
    i was thinking the same thing also not to diregard the original findings but what knot did you use? that can cut down on the line's strength. did the line break at the knot or mid length? that could be another indicator. last i don't know anything about cajun line does the label say IGFA rated? that could be another factor.

13. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I have always had problems with my Improved Clinch Knots coming undone due to line stretch, but since I've switched to the Palomar Knot I've yet to see one come apart. I only know that line stretch undid my knots because when the line came back up, it had a mess of pig tail spirals at the end. Every line I've broke with a Palomar Knot came back straight with no twists...clean break, strong knot.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have tested 20-lb big game a few times.

It always tested to around 26-lbs.

15. espressokev

espressokev New Member

State:
    Iowa
    my dad noticed that with his first attempt at braided line last year. He really hated the fact he could break it with a quick jerk. I didn't have the same problems he did catfishing, but for years now i've used braided line trout fishing and have used a whip-like jerk to break out of snags.

16. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    we like the power pro 50lbs test in the red, an older guy sugested that to us and we tried it and it seems to work. heavy weight small dia.

17. tcain24

tcain24 New Member

State:
    Lumb., NC
    I used the Palomar knot exclusively on all lines and none of the lines broke at the knot. I pulled on the line slowly until it snapped and recorded the breaking point. I am not sure the snatching process would even play a factor with testing the line considering line stretch and the flexibility of the pole being used while fishing, so that testing procedure wasn't even considered.The process was with 3 foot sections of line all with the same knot. I tried each brand of line 3 times before discarding it. I have since bought 12# suffix which with the same process broke at 16# all three times and 8# p-line flourcarbon which broke at 12# and 20# p-line flourcarbon that broke at 23#. Bought berkley big game 40# and it has bested my 50# scales. Very satisfied with the last line purchases.

18. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    tim i wasn't critising you or your test thanks for clearing it up. i think some of your results would have been different if you would have used a test to see what the breaking strength would be if it were a sudden impact test a lot of monos stretch before breaking. if you or anyone else remembers a few years ago there were complaints about braid breaking under its stated breaking strength then it was stated that line was breaking under a sudden impact test and sice braid has no stretch it will do that. thats another reason i use a mono top shot. now on you most recent tests you accidentally proved a point i stated in the thread "does anybody have a website?" 40lb big game breaks at 50lbs

19. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Man I just bought A spool of cajun line too, darn it...:crazy: