We Need Tough Laws On the Exotic Animals

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I don't understand why the United States of America does not have stricter laws to govern all the exotic animals brought into this country.The public stands at risk of being kill day or night.Most people do not even know what kind of dangerous animal their neighbor owns.Check out the link below about what took place in Florida with a Tiger.

http://www.cwapc.org/pr/pr_20040713_sipek_tiger.html

The Everglades have been taken over by Python.They are training dogs to track down the Python.Check out this link.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/02/0203_050203_everglades.html

Exotic Venomous snakes in Florida.Check out this link.

http://www.miami-dadefirerescue.com/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=11

How do you feel about all the exotic brought in to this country? :0a21:

Here is a picture taken of a 13 foot Burmese Python that ate a 6 foot Alligator and explodes.

:misdoubt:

:cat:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya know Ernest. I bet the laws are there. Its just like so many others no enforcement and no fear of breakin em cause all ya get is a slap on the wrist.

3. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If its not native to this country, I don't think it needs to be here, for any reason. thats my thoughts.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Having managed a pet shop for several years and having a strong interest in herpetology, I have to say that the laws are there. Florida has 2 problems regarding these herps.

the first is the weather. With the climate there, alot of the different exotics are bred, raised or aleast imported into the country thru florida legally. but when the hurricanes come thru theres damages resulting in the unintentional release of exotics where it be tropical fish (oscars for example) or herps like pythons and iguanas, cuban tree frogs and such. but then since its close to their natural environment they dont die off like they would if it was pennsylvania.

the second problem is people as a whole are irresponsible. There are individuals who are responsible and law abiding. It is illegal to release exotics into the wild. but people buy these animals cause their cute or its a fad and dont take care of them properly or dont think about the burmese python thats gonna get 15' easy and how their going to have to feed it rabbits and guinea pigs and the annoying neighbors toy poodle on a regular basis or the iguana that will grow 5' long and require a very large section of living room for its terrarium with full spectrum florescent lighting for its uvb light which it needs to produce vitamin d3. (this allows its body to actually use calcium) a good multi vitamin for its food and proper heating. those irresponsable people let these animals loose cause they didnt think about the consequences when the bought it and never did the research on how to care for it before they made the purchase. so they do the easiest thing possible. they let them go in the wild.

5. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Trust me ace - the laws are there already - they're just not well known and not well enforced.

My mom used to make a living breeding exotic rodents and other small mammals. They're pretty cool stuff. She never dealt with anything dangerous and always stayed within the law - having permits and proper care.

One question for you Dragger - Do you have a pet dog? They're not native here... :tounge_out:

She told me the other day she's planning on downsizing her collection and pretty much quit breeding and just have a few pets. Hopefully she'll give me a pair of sugar gliders, those things are brutally cute.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    "Invasive Exotics" need to be kept in check, I see no problem with a responsible person who is capable of caring for a 15 foot snake, I had an uncle who had a Burmese that was 14 ft and he took very good care of the snake, what people do not realize it that feeding a large animal requires large preferably live food, i.e. rabbits, guinea pigs, piglets, ect. That is when they become a problem for people is when they have to feed them a "cute" animal. I have a kingsnake and she will eat 3-5 mice every 6 weeks, with your larger snakes they will eat much more and not eat for 6 months to a year, but if you don't feed them enough they have to eat more frequently. Housing a creature that size needs a large custom built enclosure or a room for its self, I knew a girl in highschool that had in iguana that had its own room it was all of 6 feet long, the iguana was well cared for and I belieive that it spent its last years at a zoo, the same with my uncles snake it got to around 18 ft long and he realized that that was too much snake.

You could also look at some of the "domesticated" animals that we call pets as being invasive exotics. Some of the cat breeds that we have and most of the dog breeds that we have in the States are not native to here, also most of the parrots in the US are non native, I think that there is only one speices of parrot native to the US and it lives in the Carolinas, correct me if I am wrong please. The peacock bass in south florida are non-native, but they were put there as a sport fish. The same goes for oscars a type of cichlid most are aquairum dumps when people realize the size that these fish can reach 14+ inches not huge by any means but they are an extremely aggressive fish, I fed my oscar 20 1 1/2 gold fish at a time and he would get about half down in one sitting and the rest would dissapear in about 2-3 days. There are all sorts of aquarium fish that get dumped when they get too big, the snakehead is an example, and adding anything that is not part of the existing ecosystem causes an imbalance and they could push one or more species of animal out of the food chain.

I guess what I am trying to say it that if you want to keep an exotic animal as a pet, you need to do your research and know how big these animals are going to get and how much and what kind of food they need, and most important of all be RESPONSIBLE with your pet. Pirahanas, Pythons, Tigers, ect. all need to be treated with respect and if you cannot handle the job of being a responsible pet owner, there are plenty of rocks that need adopted.

Aaron (who likes exotic animals and knows how to care for them!!!)

TA2D

7. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    As a keeper of exotics (snakes) I have to say it pisses me off to here people say that I should not be allowed to keep them. I think people who can demonstrate responsible/safe husbandry should be allowed to keep anything they wish.

I don't keep venomous or giant snakes because it's illegal in my state. Another is reason is I have small children in the house and don't want to expose them to the danger. I self regulate & that's the way it should be.

Be careful when you sit in judgment of others and try to take their rights away, whether it be guns, exotics, SUV's, cigarettes etc. because someday someone will come after you and something you enjoy!

Eric

8. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I 110% agree with you Believer, If anyone is at fault it is the keeper not the animal, it is just doing what is natural for it trying to survive. More strict punishments need to be applied to those breaking the law, not the ones abiding by it! Another INVASIVE the striped bass, if it were not for santee cooper, we would not have this great sport fish to catch, an invasive that makes money is not seen as invasive.

Aaron

TA2D

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ummmmmm Nevermind I already said in the other thread

10. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I know there are a lot of people that takes good care of their exotic animals or snakes but ya'll know as well I do there are some that has them that don't take care of them and when thay become a bother to them thay just turn them aloose in the wild. Who wants to be jumped on by a lion are a tiger or something that you are not used to looking out for.
    Or thay mistreat them!
    Its just like the alligaters you hear about that have been turned aloose in the sewers in New York city.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Are you Native American? If not,are you going to leave,or does it just apply to everyone else?We are now complaining about native species crossing a line that a foreign species drew.We exterminated what we could.WE then drew lines in the land.We told the native Americans on the other side.Now you are foreign,not us.I am not judging.I do not know the answers.I do know that it was very easy for me to be a terrible hypocrite,until I got honest with myself.Many of this country's foreign species have turned out to be a boon.Many have turned out to be plague.I found a Gaboon Viper to be a great pet to keep in your gun safe or to protect your home while on vacation.I also found the most dangerous animals to be far safer than many people controlling boats and automobiles.As for the professionals.Bill Haast has been bitten by more poisonous snakes than any other person.Seems to me to be a slow learner.I would figure that I was doing something wrong way before I was bit 170 times.We have the rules and the laws.It is people and their attitudes,from the water,highways to animals.Also people are always quicker to Ban someone else's "THING" than their own.I have always found people and fear of their unknown to be the most dangerous thing anywhere I have ever been.peewee-williams

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Yes I am having a hard time trying to start a snakehead farm.

You have now been introduced to sarcasm.

Usually states take care of these things. Sometimes after the fact though. Like my little brother was telling me about a little girl getting mauled by a pitbull where he lives. And another kid got mauled. Yeah some people may get along just fine but that doesn't revert the damage done by that one person.

13. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Thanks Eric for your great reply.

:0a31:

14. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I think your right George.

:0a31:

15. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N

Both my grandmothers were Cherokee Indians. I have family that lives on the Cherokee Indian Reservation in North Carolina Mountains.I don't think you can be more Native American than that.I remember the trail of tears my mother told me about.The white man has done just about every thing they can to the red man.Seems like all they want is wealth no matter who they hurt.But I still have to love them because that Gods way.The past is the past.It won't bring any of them back.Why keep destroying our Native species so the rich man can get richer by the plight of others.We have enough of own Native animals killing people here at home.We don't need the exotic animals and snakes.This is my thoughts and I'm sure you have your own.

:sure:

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like many subjects I see this problem is simple to solve.

People have to many rights

If you are in possesion of a dangerous animal you must be put in Jail.

It's just that simple, If we want zoos to be allowed then put it in writing, other that that Report to jail.

You guys think I am crazy but I really mean it. People are walking around thinking of ways to break the law to make money the easy way because we are soft on crime. It seems to me brinking the law is breaking the law.

Our law enforcement has become a joke because our good police officers see their efforts to stop crime amount to nothing due to the public allowing soft punishments.
    Our laws are so messed up we need a new law that states the following.

NEW LAW

There will no longer be any excuse or reason for someone breaking a law.
    So that each issue does not have to be visited, From this day forward it will be against the law to break any law. If you break a law you must turn yourself in to the police. If you are breaking the law and do not turn yourself in to the police for punishment you will be required to spend the rest of your life in prison.

17. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have 2 5 ft. iguanas that are like a part of the family. Its not the animals that are the problem, its the irresponsable people that get them cause they think they look cool, not really knowing what they're getting into.

18. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    but on the other hand my iguanas aren't gonna get out and eat somebody. I HOPE:eek:oooh:

19. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    There are pet shops in my state that one can buy a ten foot snake without the slightest clue how to care for it.Me being a snake lover I think that one should have to get a permit to own one or even a license.Just like I feel that I shouldnt own a gun cause Im not shure I am responsible enuogh.

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia