We must be idiots

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by beetle, Feb 6, 2007.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well here in SW Ohio schools have been closed now for the past two days because temps have reached the single digits in the mornings. Today Cincinnati's city manager has asked the businesses and all city employees that are nonessential go home at 2:00pm due to the forecasted 3-5" of snow that is coming this afternoon. My girl's school closed last week for a day due to a dusting (1/4") of snow. Are people this stupid today? Do we not know how to keep our kids warm while waiting for a bus? Are we not able to drive in 2" of snow? What happens to all of you guys that live north of Ohio or out west were you get way more snow and a lot colder temps? Does your cities shut down in the fall and open in the spring? And some people wonder why this country is in the shape it's in. Sorry but I just had to get that off my chest.

2. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    yeah, I watched the WorldNews Tonight and they mentioned how temps were in the sigle digits and windchills in the negative temps, I thought..Gee...we have been getting weather like that for months...How come we didnt make the Evening News :confused2:. Sometimes, ya gotta toughen up, get thick skined. i feel for people that have to experience weather that normally dont, but I mean really, ya cant quit because your cold.

Grow up! and quit whinning!!:wink:

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think it is because people who live where it rarely snows a lot (people who dont experience it often) think they cant drive in the snow. whereas people who get a lot of it every year have some snow experience and they know how to drive in it.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what is it about the Cincy area anyways? seems like anywhere south of Mason to the Ohio river, east of Hamilton, and west of Hillsboro is mostly populated and ran by folks who "live in a bubble". i wouldnt be suprised to see here soon legislation forcing folks to wear OFF during the summer to prevent mosquito bites:lol: we are becoming so "wussie-fied" it 'aint funny!

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Frankly, I agree with you.
    There are a few exceptions though. While I was living in Phoenix AZ we had 1/8" of snow so they closed all of the schools and everything. They aren't used to any snow at all and had no capability for snow removal except to wait.

I know that while I was stationed at Minot AFB ND it took a heck of a lot of weather for schools or anything else to close. The only time the base closed due to temperature alone we hit -57 without wind chill (wind chill was -137). Unless there was ice to go with the snow, it took about 6" of snow to close anything.

Here in Missouri we have had quite a few closings in the last month or so, but it wasn't due to the snow that we got, but due to the ice.

Part of the problem also impacts our energy usage. My heater is set at 60 degrees. I rarely need my heavy jacket outside (until it drops below 20) because I am somewhat used to cooler temps. When people keep their houses at 75+ they aren't properly prepared for single digit temps no matter how much they are wearing.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now if the temp actually is way below zero and the winds a blowin to high heaven I can understand but closing school for 1/4 inch of snow. I don't think so. And yes Beetle,there is something terribly wrong with people today who don't know how to instruct their children to wear lots of warm clothing.Shoot we had too,when I was kid. I went to school many a day with some cold feet due to some harsh temps but i'm still here.Also I think it sets a bad example because when these kids become adults and have jobs you can't call in cause it's too cold to get outside or cause there's some snow on the ground. Employers expect their employee's to be there.JMHO:crazy:

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now you have done it...something else we must do!LOL I am sure that's not far behind.

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    They called for snow flurries in 78. Ended up with 28 inches on the ground before the flurry quit. I made it to work every day and drove 22 miles to get there in a 76 Ford car...2 wheel drive. Looked like I was in a tunnel part of the time where the snow plows had piled it up on both sides of the road. Road was still covered most of the time cause it was coming down faster than they could plow it. That was in Illinois. Probably lots of guys remember that one.

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Back in the 70's we use to get some pretty big snows. I can remember the Bengals playing a game with -21 temps on the field in a stadium. I remember the Ohio river froze enough that they drove cars on it...we still had school:sad2:

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think I do remember that one. I was at Scott AFB at the time. I am a bit younger than you though, so i wasn't driving. I don't remember any school closings that year. I do remember a snow "hill" we sledded down that weekend. All the snow from the parking lot went into this hill and it was taller than the two-story apartment housing we were in.

Heck... how many people remember the Oklahoma Ice Bowl? Oklahoma University vs. Oklahoma State University. It was talked about for years.

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Probably the main reason for us to close schools is the same as everything else. Some idiot will send their kid out without gloves and a hat, yet if that child gets frostbite because of their stupidity, they will sue the school system where, win or lose, it will cost a pile of money. It costs quite a bit to defend against even a frivolous lawsuit. Welcome to the new society of itaintmyfaultIamanidiot, where it is ALWAYS somebody elses fault.

12. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    :embarassed: i was born in the 70's :lol:

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Yep I remember that one real well.Lived in Quincy,Il. at the time .I remember them forcasting a 30 % chance of flurrys on Fri evening and on Mon morning they was saying the same thing (only thing is we had 19" of snow on the ground) and stillsnowing.Myself and one other fellow made it to work that morning before it ever came on the radio the plant was closed. You was driving a76 Ford ,I had a 64 Ford Galixie .Sweet car wish I still had it.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You guys are sounding like my parents...I'm 60.:lol:

In Oklahoma, the thing that drives school closings more than anything else, is bus routes. Nobody wants a busload of kids stranded in single-digit temps, or rolling off an embankment.

15. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    In my opinion Loanwizard hit the nail on the head. Crazy bunch of sue happy morons that are over running the population is the cause of this stupidity.

16. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    LOL on all replies and yes the intelligence factor seems more numbed by snow and cold than we were younger. The blizzard of 78 was the exception, born and raised in Dayton, and I remember having school in far more treacherous weather. The past 15 years of mild winters has probably cut off exposure to these conditions so folks aren't as hardy. My call center closed today at 4:30 and my usual 15 minute drive was an hour by sticking to the "back" roads and driving steadily. Snow? No problem...people not thinking is the issue. Rant turned off for now.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Whats wrong? Ambulance chasers like John Edwards is whats wrong.

18. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Here's the deal for Ohio Schools - this is the week that they take their student headcount for funding allocation. If they take headcount on a day like today, when a lot of parents/guardians are tempted to let the kids stay home anyway, they lose that headcount and therefore operating $$$$s. SO, they just close schools and "postpone" the headcount to a day that is more likely to have max attendance.

19. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Thanksgiving weekend. My dad just bought a '86 Nissan 4X4 KingCab truck and we went to Nebraska to do some pheasant hunting. Heard about the severe storm, so we left a day early. Somewhere around Wichita, is where we were able to start listening to the game. Don't really remember much about the game, but it was cold in the back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVXFS6nzJrU

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well Rodger I feel your pain we had a 1/2" ice storm and they closed school for a day then 1 hr late the next day then a week or so later we got over 8" of snow and it was business as usual go figure . It really makes you wonder dont it?