we just had an earthquake

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kooman, Dec 16, 2009.

1. kooman

kooman New Member

State:
    nebraska
    just had a quick earthquake here in s.e. neb, lasted only a few seconds but shook the s%it out of things, im sure its common for some of you but not here. no major damage reported but pretty scary

2. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    wow...i dont know what i would do if an earth quake hit here in ks

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I been thru a few here and overseas, the short ones ain't so bad, but the long ones and those that are pretty powerful can be scary. Glad that I haven't had any real complications or had to repair any real damage from them yet.

4. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Glad you're okay!:crazy:

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I read about another one in the paper this morning,,,

"December 18, 2009 @ 10:10 AM
    BRYAN CHAMBERS
    The Associated Press

NEW MADRID, Mo. (AP) — No damage is reported, but a small earthquake centered in southeast Missouri has rumbled parts of four states.
    The magnitude 3.1 quake happened at 5:38 a.m. Friday along the New Madrid fault line and was centered about nine miles south of New Madrid, Mo., not far from the Tennessee and Kentucky state lines. The quake was also felt in Arkansas.

KFVS-TV in Cape Girardeau reported that people called the newsroom saying they felt a strong jolt at their homes.

Earthquakes in 1811 and 1812 along the New Madrid fault were so strong they could be felt in New England, and reportedly caused the Mississippi River to flow backward. Many experts believe another major quake will eventually occur along the fault line."

One of these days, it is going to be real bad. Folks don't build for them like the do in California.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just hope that is does not upset the super volcano below Yellowstone. If that blew, it would put a damper on Christmas for many years to come! :wink:

BB in SC

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  7. bigmikeg

bigmikeg New Member

State:
    nebraska
    3.5 rocked the house like i said not as bad as the one i was in in1989 in san fransico. koman where do you live i'm between peru aubrn and brownville

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Just glad no one got hurt!

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A small community, about 35 miles from my house, has been the epicenter of 4 earthquakes in the past two weeks. They are small, but pretty frequent. Maybe It is the San Andreas fault getting set up for the "big" one. Everyone...start buying property in Arizona. LOL

10. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I felt this one this morning. Actually Bob (the cat) woke me up and then I felt it. Not bad, just a little rattling.

11. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    man didn't feel here:big_smile: but that a puny little one, get them here that size all the time and won't even make the news, its the 6.5's that get your attention:wink:, I have heard the mid west/Mississippi valley has the potential to have one of the most destructible earthquake in the USA here is a link to the USGS web site that list all quakes in the world and a the info on them, usually post with in minutes a quake http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2009qhaf.php

12. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    the one in ne was on thursday around 9 oclock at night...i was in omaha at the oak view mall and didnt feel a thing...

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    South east of ya i would have to shower and change.:embarassed: Seen all kinds of storms, fire and whatnot, never a quake.

14. kooman

kooman New Member

State:
    nebraska
    im in Auburn