WE HAVE WATER!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by azcataholic, Jan 27, 2010.

1. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    In a recent report of our storm we should be happy our lakes are filling to capacity. One article stated Roosevelt at 93% now. Catfish spawn will be coming soon!

2. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    When do they usually spawn at rosie? I don't start fishing for cats until march up around here. I have caught them as late as may at rosie that still have big ole fat egg bellies. I dont keep them until june or so anyways but I was just curious as to what your experience was at that lake with the spawn.

3. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I wonder how much trouble Lonny is having crossing the Tonto:rain:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Dave, I spoke to Lonny today, He and his wife are on the hwy side of the creek, evacuated on Thursday. He said he hopes to go home tonight.
    As far as the spawn goes, it seems like March, April, and May. I don't profess to know alot about the spawn, I believe the appetite of the flats increases post spawn, the males looking a little less than healthy thru the spawn from not eating. Anyone with comments on the spawn are welcome to share their knowledge here.

5. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I think the Flats Post spawn last until mid may. The water is still pretty dang cold. I have caught many with Egg sacs in early May. I think they spawn somewhere between Mid May, to first week in June. Depends on Water Temp, and I ususaly do not catch them with eggs after mid June. Just my opinion of course. I sure hope Lonny gets to go back home! I am also really curious as to how this rain has helped San Carlos, or was it too late? I never heard of a fish kill, so hopefully it helped.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks Mike,
    appreciate the post and report...

About Lonny,,, I hope he and his family can make it home tonight....

The Tonto must be just Raging...

7. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    From what I have always understood, flatties will not actively begin to spawn until the water temps are above 70 degrees. As the water temps push closer to this, they will become more active and feed heavier.

I know on the river (Colorado River) we have caught flatties with egg sacks during the gathering around the first part of June. I have even caught some later than that with eggs. A lot of this is dependent upon the water temperatures.

In regard to all the moisture, I have been wanting to post some pictures of all the snow that we got up here in Flagstaff last week. I am hoping to post them tomorrow. We got 62" of snow from Tuesday afternoon to Saturday morning. Most of this came on Thursday and Friday...it was quite a site. I guess it is the 3rd highest amount of snow on record.

Ryan

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the Flagstaff report "Martinman".... I skied there in 68 and there was a great snow year as well....

See Ya at "Dales" River Gathering....

9. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    now we are talking snow ! Flagstaff didn't have all the fancy snow removel equipment then, was a much smaller town , my father and i had to walk into town from forest road 303 to get food.lots of folks stranded in that one.of course people were thougher back then.:snowman:

10. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    68 wow my dad hadnt even gone thru puberty yet

11. flathead-40

flathead-40 New Member

State:
    arizona
    /Hey Dave! Hows my dogs? Now that we have enough water in Bartlett to float the Starcraft I need to start getting ready!:laugh1: I am hoping to come to your neck of the woods in three weeks. Wife and I just bought another home and will have to be painting for the next two weekends:sad:. She told me no play untill I am done!:sigarette:.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    What's up with that??? Get a paint grenade!!!

13. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :snowman:WELL. WELL, WELL, LOOK WHO JUST PUT DOWN HIS GAME BOY or what ever the heck plaything nowadays... with a new avatar to boot....

14. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    a pack of your waterdogs attacked one of my gills and ate it ,i'm aafraid to stick my hand in there proably draw back a bloody stub.:weep:I don't know what is left in there but come and get some ...

15. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Just from my past experance the big females start showing up pretty heavy around the begining of may give or take a week or two. I can't wait to go hit the salt around then!

16. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    and another.:clap:

17. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    whats up bubba. just crawling out of my cave. its so cold out i dont even like talking bout fishing.j/k i was told that when the water gets close 2 60 thats when they start headin up river. but who really knows. ive caught fat belly females in oct with eggs so is that another spawn season or they start producin them that early?but i can be wrong with the 60 but ill be out there when water temps r 50 60 70 80 90 100 so it dont matter.

18. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I don't know but I know I spawn all year round even when it is below 60 lol:waiting:

19. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    im really lookin 4ward 4 this season. the verde is gonna be completly changed the whole river bed is gonna be completly clean

20. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    He'll yeah It is going to be completly diffent now up in the river that is going to be a good thing