We can't stop the MACHINE, or can we?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MilwaukeeCatHunter, Apr 18, 2006.

1. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    The other day, I got the most recent issue of The Sentry from the US Sportsmen's Alliance. Here are some financial figures about anti-hunting and anti-fishing groups that are enough to make you puke:

"Animal rights organizations have perfected the art of soliciting money from animal lovers; many well-meaning contributors are unaware of how their donations are used. They assume it goes for animal care when often the donations are applied to more fundraising, high salaries and overhead costs."

Here is how much money these anti-hunting/fishing organizations made in 2004:

• Humane Society of the US $78.5 million
    • ASPCA $50.2 million
    • PETA $28.9 million
    • International Fund for Animal Welfare $13 million
    • Amercan Humane Assoc $12.3 million
    • Friends of Animals $5.1 million
    Anyone think that this is a major concern? Are our hunting and fishing privileges in jeopardy? My answer is definitely YES.

2. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i think its all total horse @&$%! god put animals on this earth for us to hunt and eat. thats why there called animals

3. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance
    801 Kingsmill Parkway, Columbus, OH 43229
    Ph. 614/888-4868 • Fax 614/888-0326

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Dale Miles (614) 888-4868 ext. 226
    April 17, 2006 Beth Ruth (614) 888-4868 ext. 214

Online Business Sells Postage Stamps to Benefit HSUS

(Columbus) - An online company is using the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) to raise money for the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s largest anti-hunting organization. The news comes just weeks after the Louisiana Attorney General launched an investigation into alleged misuse of money collected for relief efforts after Hurricanes Rita and Katrina.

Zazzle.com, a website that allows customers to create custom postage stamps and other personalized items, is selling stamps that promote HSUS programs. Customers can purchase stamps which support HSUS disaster relief efforts as well as campaigns against seal hunting in Canada and agricultural animal usage. Twenty percent of the net sales is donated to the HSUS. The organization’s name is prominently displayed on the stamps.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance (USSA), the nation’s leading sportsmen’s advocacy group, contacted Zazzle.com to voice its displeasure with the promotion. The Alliance urged Zazzle to end its promotion of HSUS because of the organization’s work to eliminate hunting, trapping and animal use. Despite learning of the HSUS’ radical agenda, Mike Karns, Marketing Director for Zazzle.com refused to end the relationship.

“This promotion results in the duping of the U.S. Postal Service to raise money for an organization that pushes a radical political agenda,” commented USSA President Bud Pidgeon. “Every dollar raised through this promotion is another dollar they have at their disposal to use against conservation practices.”

On March 27, the Attorney General of Louisiana reported that his office has launched an investigation of the HSUS and has asked the organization for an accounting of all funds raised for the purpose of pet rescue and reunion with pet owners in the aftermath of 2005’s hurricanes.

“America’s sportsmen are outraged that Zazzle.com is exploiting the U.S. Postal Service to make donations to HSUS,” stated Pidgeon. “Given the investigation by the state of Louisiana, I would think that Zazzle.com would want to know exactly how the money they are raising is being used.”

Sportsmen are urged to contact their state and federal legislators, the USPS and Zazzle.com to voice their opposition. It is unacceptable for a federal agency to be used to promote policies that most Americans do not support. To express your dissatisfaction, contact Zazzle.com at (650) 328-6700 or write to Mr. Robert Beaver, Chief Executive Officer, Zazzle.com, 66 Willow Place, Menlo Park, CA 94025. To contact the USPS about this practice, call your local postmaster at (800) 275-8777. While e-mail is an excellent way to inform people about an issue, it is not the best way to send opinions to a legislator or organization. With the click of a button, an e-mail and dozens of others like it can be deleted.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance protects the rights of hunters, anglers and trappers in the courts, legislatures, at the ballot, in Congress and through public education programs. For more information about the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance and its work, call (614) 888-4868 or visit its website, www.ussportsmen.org.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

I don't know, I bet Bass Pro alone made more than that last year. When you add all the stores that sell hunting and fishing equipment, well, the fishing and hunting folks way out weigh the non.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    IMHO they are wasting their time, they will never be able to ban hunting and fishing. There is way too much money in it, states make millions just from the licenses. Thats not counting the billions that are spent each year on guns, boats, rods, reels, etc. If they banned both of these sports the economy would be ruined.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would gladly give up all my fish/hunting privledges on one condition. The antis must pay 100% of the cost to take care of the fish and animals. I can tell you after a year or two they would beg us to come back. Look at what bans on cat/bear hunting have cost. Human and pet attacks have increased.

You can moan all you want about the poor animals/fish. That is until a bear is running off with your kid, then I bet they are into hunting.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chief we humans are animals.

8. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this completely! Those dam PETA and people that dont want us to hunt or fish are just rediculous. I dont think (and hope) they dont have the fire or never will get it to stop us from huntin or fishin. We have a right to hunt and fish and thats what the animals were put here for! It would actually be worse if they did ban hunting because then overpopulation occurs and then unnecessary deaths occur (starvation, disease, etc.) I get so pissed off everytime I see a new arguement or something from these people

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

not to mention the obvious. with the new desieses and over population in greatly reduced areas with human developement, proper thinning and hunting keeps the heards #ers down. less reducing inner breeding and the desieses of over population.

proper conservation is essintial for a healthy wildlife population. there are also many organazations for conservation. im getting ready to enroll my 7 year old son in the kids for conservation program offered free by the state of illionis.

hunting and fishing are a tradition as old as man kind its self, even older. animals have hunted since thier creation. take a kid fishing programs and such. no, i dont see any bans on hunting or fishing any time soon thats for sure.

wildlife hunting and fishing are pretty safe and i wouldn't worry about loosing it. may see new restrictions but most are simply for the better. like for example.
    in illionis a few years ago there was a new law on fishing. all smallmouth caught between april1 and june 15 must be immeditally released. NOT BECAUSE OF P.E.T.A. OR ANYTHING. it was installed cause illinois wants to make it streams and river smallmouth fishing world class. so protecting them during spawn will increase $ers. june 16th your allowed again to keep and eat them. and im sure whrn the populations are very abundant then the restriction will be lifted.

10. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Well, what we ned to do is make an offshoot the National Catfish Protection Association, be non profit and draw some of this here money away from them polecats.

11. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Everyone should take a serious look at this the antis do not try to take our outdoor rights all at once they peck away a liitle at a time. For example the go after specific hunts (Mountian Lion in California, Trapping) We all need to stick together even if the antis are not after our sport of choice at the time. There is alot of discussing on this site about trotlines not being an accepted means of catfishing that would be an area they would target some people may be willing to give that up but they will not stop there. We must all band together to protect all of our rights!

12. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    EXACTLY! That's why I keep doing posts on this subject so much. The squeaky wheel always gets the oil, and we need to be just as vocal as these organizations so our legislators don't start thinking that hunters and fishermen don't care what happens.

13. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    That's true, but a lot of the hunting and fishing stores do not actively lobby in the legislatures for hunter's and fishermen's rights. (some of the big ones do donate a lot of money to NRA, US Sportsmen's Alliance, Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, etc.) However, the anti's put 100% of their effort into taking away our rights. We need to make our voices heard more in the legislatures and toss a few dollars to non profit agencies that stand up for us.

14. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Guest

It's a sad commentary on the state of this nation when money dictates policy. I'm an 11 yr Air Force veteran and I vote every time the polls are open. I agree that we have to voice our opinion to the senators and representatives that represent us. I think that we have a better chance of influencing at the local level. How many of us thought about running for our city council so we can have a hand in how things run? Do you remember when there used to be marsh land? I do and it helped to take care of the flood water and it also helped to break up the effects of hurricanes. Do you remember when farmers used to have hedge rows? Those trees helped provide habitat for animals and helped to keep the soil from blowing away. As long as this nation continues to place a higher priority on making huge profits and building homes everywhere, we'll continue to see an erosion of the hunting and fishing rights that we grew up with. Just something to thing about. By the way, I can't respond to the pm's yet because I don't have enough posts yet.

15. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    I'm a member of Pheasants Forever, and IMHO, they do a good job preserving and maintaining natural habitat and public hunting grounds. They recently opened up a large public hunting area (donated it to the state of WI I think) between Milwaukee and Madison.

Good suggestion about running for city council. However, in my area, the only thing the city councils are worried about is attracting new business and new homes for tax money. We, probably like the rest of the nation, have a little problem with very high state taxes in WI, and attracting new growth is the only way to ensure financial stability in the towns, cities and villages. A lot of tax freezes going on in local communities and they need the growth to get more money. If they don't get the new growth, public services (police, fire, etc) start getting cut.

16. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    well if i can't hunt deer or fish for fish,i will just have to start hunting and fishing for peta yuppies.....

17. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    I THINK WE HAVE FOUND A NEW GAME FOR THE BOC ARCADE!!!

BOC STAFF, ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! LOL