WD40 on bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Catmaster, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I got a rather interesting email on the many uses of WD40. One of the uses was for fishing. It said WD40 when sprayed on your bait was a very good atractant for Channel catfish. I thought that was kind of bizzare. I just have to ask. Has anyone used this? Did it work? I have not tried it yet. I would think that that would contaminate the water if it is not totaly poluted already.

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hmmm......I think I'll kick back and watch how this one pans out.:0a10:

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I would suggest not doing it, I know many have. They say it works, but like you said, you will contaminate the water.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yeah, I think I'll just sit back and watch the sparks fly, LOL!!!

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    All it takes is few drops. compared to the amount of unburned oil 2 cycle engines put ou it minimal

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I believe it is illegal to use WD-40 in most states as an attractant, check your regs before you use it.
    In Ky it carries a fine of 500.00 for just having it in your boat or tackle box. BEWARE!!!

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I wonder what Kentucky would say about the Rem oil I never leave home without and the gallon of 2 cycle oil in the boat not to mention the bearing grease coating the inner side of the wheels on the boat trailer.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I guess as long as it doesn't contain WD-40 you will get by OK Mark, LMAO!!!

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO JW, you are not right at all.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    He Started it, LMAO!!!

11. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Im glad your not using it and thank you for not using it. many people do use it that do not care to much about what gos into the water. all alot care about is just catching fish.

I like trying to keep my waters i fish as clean as i can and not add to what is added already.

And as for the boat bearings grease and stuff like that game and inland shouls set stric laws and regs onit. and make boaters start using a nontoxic grease and oil.

I have no boat and wont have one so i know for sure im not adding to what already there.

But the grease and oil thats used for boats is a goodthing to think about. and maybe a goodthing to contact game and inland about in your state and see what better ways they can come with.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    W.D. 40 is pure death to any aquatic creature, it will render a lake or river completly void of any fish with just a few drops!

13. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Where did you here that?

14. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    There are some good "ethical" spray on bait fish attractants at walmart or your bait supply if you must spray your bait. As for WD40, it says right on the front of the can "harmful or fatal if swallowed". So if you catch fish with WD40 on the bait, how can you be sure that the fish won't die after you release it. If it is illegal to use as a bait attractant then it probably does harm to the fish, don't ya think...

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was kidding! sorry

16. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    JW, let's pretend I'm from Missouri. Show me! I have WD40 in my boat and use it for all kinds of things. If it's illegal to even have with me, I'd like to see it. I just spent 20 minutes scouring KY's rules and regs and haven't found anything that addresses it. Not being a smart guy, but I'd like to see something if I have to take it out to fish your river there. Thanks.

17. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't care how good of a fish catcher it might be I would never use it. The lakes and rivers already have enough garbage in them know and there is no need to contribute to it. As a couple of other guys mentioned there are other bait attractants out there to use.

18. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I know a guy that swears by PAM cooking spray. Never tried it, but it might be an alternative.

19. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    This very discussion came up when I was on vacation on Cumberland Lake in 1985! Though I have never tried it, the explaination that was given to me makes sense and opens the avenues up for the use of many (more environmentally friendly) oils. I'm no biologist and cannot book validate this, but here it is:

A human body is constituted mostly of water. Hence, humans crave water in combination with food and after periods of exercise to replenish their natural levels. Conversly, fish are of an oily composition. They too crave oil and seek it out.

Made sense to me. Truthiness?

Spencer

20. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I'm not real sure either, but I think anything (fish,snake,Human,Dog) has water as a significant percentage of its body weight. I know on some of those "power worms" when you dip them in water you can see a thin sheet of oil on the surface. Being as oil cant mix with water though, it cant disperse in it--the fish wont smell it or taste it. As far as the fish craving oil, I'm not so sure. If you find out that they do though, let me know. Next time I fish, I'll hook up a bottle of TropArtic. :smile2: