WD-40

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by lukecpl, Oct 3, 2008.

1. lukecpl

lukecpl New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    I heard of a new method on catching catfish with Night Crawlers. Is to spray wd-40 on worms.

Luke

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Spraying wd-40 on bait might catch cats but is it good for the environment?

I think not. There are a lot of harmful chemicals in wd 40. If everyone started using wd 40 on their baits what would we be doing to our lakes and rivers?

3. lukecpl

lukecpl New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    I have not done it. Thanks for the reply

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree 100%!!! WD40 isn't a good thing to use in the water at all. If you're wanting something to spray on there are plenty of different sprays you can buy that won't pollute the water.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have heard of this many times, but I have not tried it. I watched a friend of mine try it and he caught fish, but not more than anyone else.

Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Luke Welcome to the BOC. I look forward to reading your fishing escapdes.:0a25::0a25::0a22:

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There was one time that i was fishing and the bite was almost non existant and i had wd-40 on the boat and i just sprayed it all over a shad and started to catch fish. i did it that one time and even though it was the difference between me catching fish and not catching them, i will never do that again because of what it can and will do to the water system. so to make sure i dont do it, i make sure there is non on the boat whenever i go to the water. :embarassed:

8. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    try some bait sray, somethin like shad,it will help, good luck,

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I've heard it too. I wouldn't do it. Ifyou catch and release,what will it do to that fish. I wouldn't eat it.

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Kevin iv heard this and that about wd40 as well but never have tried it for the reasens you just said glad to see a few pepple think the envirament is more important

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome luke to the boc/soc glad you ask that ? befor you tried it hope you deside not to try it

12. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I've heard of this before but like it's been said,I'd never try it because of the environmental effect.I imagine it would work because the smell would probably attract the fish.I'm not a fan of spraying anything but I do own a bottle of that shad spray on smell stuff.Can't remember the last time I used it though.

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    WD-40 contains chemicals that are similar to kerosene as well as a type of petroleum gas. I cannot see how these ingredients could be good for our water systems in any way?

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I belive all sprays are overrated nothing beats the real bait sent:cool2:

15. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    Amen to that brother!

16. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    No you should not use WD-40 because of the petroleum products in it. One of the ingredients is fish oil. That is why it works on fish, and water displacement. Hence...WD on the 40th try. They never applied for a patent, or they would have had to release the ingredients. But now with hazmat everyone gets to see what is in your goop.

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I don't and won't use it. But it's funny that everyone is worried about the petroleum part of it and what it will do to the environment and fish, but I wonder what's in that long oil streak a two stroke engine leaves behind? We mix gas with oil and basicly just pour it into our lakes and rivers and then squawk about spraying a shot of WD-40 on some bait. Again I would never do this, but come on, what's worse? I wonder what the ratio of contaminants between the two are? In an average day or night of fishing, would the fisherman spraying his bait with WD-40 or the outboard put more in the water? I'd be willing to bet you put more contaminants into the environment from your vehicle than a fisherman would by spraying his bait. Any of you glue your knots? LOL Just some food for thought.

18. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Whistler beat me to it...

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! Bryan stated EXACTLY what my sentiments were! I don't use it, but yes, look at that oil trail behind the two strokes! I'm sure the WD-40 wouldn't hurt the waterways one 1/000th of what the boats put in the water. I assume everyone who is speaking of the environmental issue, runs 4 stroke engines? :wink:
    Bill in SC

20. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    Sad to say I run a 2 stroke.:sad2: