WD-40

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfishbrett, Jul 4, 2008.

1. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    my uncle was fishing the other day and saw a man spraying wd-40 on his worms and liver? so he asked him why,he told my uncle a few years back he watched an old man catch fish after fish while he sprayed wd-40 on his worms the old man told him that the catfish love wd-40 and that the indians had a bait they used that smelled just like it? has anyone ever heard of this befor? even if it worked i dont think i would try this. it may be bad for the fish even if they like the scent?

2. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis

I've heard from numorous people about this. Even my uncle does it. It works, or so it seems, but I'll never use it. I can't imagine how harmful it has to be to the fish.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sure have, I had a friend who used to do the same thing. worked for him, but I never tried it.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've heard of using wd 40 before but have never tried it. Seems to me the chemicals in it would be harmful for the environment.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've heard it's a pretty hefty fine if you ever get caught using it by a game warden.

6. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    you will have to ask the old Deerhunter01 on this one he is the one that uses it all the time

7. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    You know, now that you mention it, I have seen a good many empty WD-40 cans laying around where I fish, But I had no idea that it was being used for fish bate. I use to know an old fellow that my mother in-law befriended after her husband died, and he used it for what he called lumbago. He would spray it on the Joints in his arms and legs, are any place he had pain. and he lived to be 90 years old, and when he died, and we had to go and help clean his house. He had WD-40 cans setting all over his house. so if it was all that bad I am sure he would have died much sooner then he did. He even treated his hemorrhoids with it. Go figure.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That's just a tad bit more information than I needed to hear.:wink:

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I use it at work several times a day, as a soap to clean grease off my hands. On Real hard to get rid of grease, like the stuff that has a lot of carbon in it, it works great. Spray it on, rub your hand together as you would for soap, wipe off with paper towels, then wash using a soap made with pumice, walnut shells or some other "grit".

As for spraying on bait, no, you would never see me doing such a thing, whether it worked or not. I've heard both sides and I lean heavily to the side that says it is not good for the environment.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    there used to be rumers of fish oil in wd-40. then they changed it.

FACT wd-40 is a petrolioum by product. so its like dumping oil in the water. a quart of oil can slick a spot the size of a football field and remain for many years. PLEASE dont use it on baits.

FACT wd-40 has never released ingreadients but has not changed its formula. EVER. its exactly the same since its 40th attempt at the formula. hence the 40.

WD=water displacement 40= it was perfected on the 40th try. WD-40

WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- somewhat similar to kerosene)
    25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
    15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
    10-%: Inert ingredients

heres some info.

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/#q2

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40®—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    WD-40 does work but very harmful to fish,the water,and other wildlife.I dont use it and i highly discourage anyone else from doing so,our waters are polluted enough as it is.And the game warden will get you if your caught using it.

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I don't know if it really works or not but would never use it, it can't be good for the waters... I have fished with captains in alaska that used it for halibut, but I don't think it makes much difference. I have found one very good use for it though... I find the smallest speedo I can squeeze into and a big straw hat, then spray myself down with wd-40 until I'm shiny all over. It's doesn't help catch fish but no one will fish within 300 yards of you and you have your spot to yourself....:wink::smile2:

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    there was a plasterer i knew,
    (he died in a car crash) he used to spray his arms and hands all down at the begining of the day to keep the stucco from sticking to his arms.:eek:oooh:

i use it to spray my hawk and trowel down. at the end of the day the dry stuff pops off easy. we all do really. it a messy job.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Use as a remover is interesting, makes sense to me though, Thanks for the tips

15. TurboJim

TurboJim New Member

State:
    El Paso, Texas
    Back in the 80's I used to spray wd40 on my trout lures on the Indian reservation lakes filled with trout, It really worked well, I guess the trout would home in on the blue green oil trail that the lure left in the water.

When a realized that oil the water was probably not a good thing, I quit using it and the fish was slower, go figure. WD40 does work, but use some sort of fish oil, instead.

I soon found better use for wd40, as an engine degreaser!

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use it on the plastic on my ATV if I'm going on a muddy ride. Makes clean-up much easier.:wink:

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always wonder who tried it out first? Do you think some old boy was unsqueeken the door hinge on his stepside and had an epiphany. (Wow!this works so well on door hinges it has to be great on fish bait!) lmao :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    just for your information
    wd 40 is made from a fish oil product, and yes it works to catch catfish:0a26:

19. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I heard somewhere recently it contained cod liver oil?

catman george

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dont know about all the uses ,hemroid medican an such stuff ???????? might spray it on my bait but not up my a$$ LOL :smile2::smile2::smile2: