Wd-40?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Ellis, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Ok, ive seen people talking about using WD-40 but what does it even do. I dont think its right as i hate how people pollute my local pond, but why do people even use it?

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I've heard that a main ingredient of WD-40 is a type of fish oil, that will slick out on the water and have cats following the trail. You are correct about the pollutants in it, it has a whole lot of other ingredients in it that can hurt other aquatic life. You can buy other fish attractants that will work similarly, but without the harmful effects.

3. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use Cod Liver Oil and it does a good job and isn't going to hurt anything. I can still remember having to take it when I was a kid, dang it tasted nasty. I think the reason parents gave it to us for was not a cure all, but if we took a spoonful of it then they knew for sure we were sick, tasted to bad to take if you weren't sick.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    This is the first person I have seen ask about WD-40 that had the sense to know it's bad. I don't know exactly what it does and I don't care either.

5. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    Thats why I like this site you always learn something new. Never herd of useing wd 40 I still wouldn't use it anyway. I have to say thats a new one on me.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    There are no natural ingreediats in WD-40, it is all petrolium based.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Best thing since sliced bread if you saltwater fish.
    I wash my reels with a waterhose and then give them a good WD40 bath.

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    "WD" stands for Water displacement

"40" stands for the forty times it took to formulate it to the final product.

I wouldn't use it for spraying on bait, It is a pollutant.

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Don't know about the pollutant part but talking with a guy that fishes a lot of bass tournaments around Arkansas and was talking about the gray film on the fiberglass boats. I told him I had buffed it out with that marine crap and the film came back. He told me to just spray the WD40 on a rag and wipe. The only part that it is noticable is the top flat surfaces mostly so it wouldn't be below the water line. Anyway, it works for that. I'll see how long it stays nice and shiny before the gray film comes back. Only took about 10 minutes to do the whole boat too, that is a plus too.

10. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    tranmission fluid is used as well i know people who soak hot doggs in it

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Much better than WD 40 for reels and equipment if you salt water fish or fish waters that may be somewhat polluted is Blakemore's Real Magic (used to be Reel Magic). It doesn't get gummy like WD 40 can, has a UV protectant, and is good for fishing lines, helps get kinks and curls out.

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    WD-40 was made to disperse water away from moving parts inside of torpedows in wwll,,,Now you know the rest of the story,,,...,,,

13. YankeeRebel

YankeeRebel New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've seen guys using W-D 40 and catching Bass at a local lake. The guy I seen using it was spraying his Lure directly with this stuff. I heard if you are caught using it by the Game Warden you'll be in big trouble.:eek:oooh:

14. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Water Displacement #40.

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts.

WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company.

Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were

successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to

protect their Atlas missile parts.

The workers were so pleased with the product, they began smuggling (also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing")

it out to use at home. The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in aerosol cans.

The rest, as they say, is history.

It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. Only one of them is the "brew master." There are about

2.5 million gallons of the stuff manufactured each year. It gets its distinctive smell from a fragrance that is added

to the brew. Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

When you read the "shower door" part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door.

If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle!

Then try it on your stovetop...Voila! It's now shinier than it's ever been.
    You'll be amazed.

Here are some of the uses:

Protects silver from tarnishing.

Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.

Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.

Keeps flies off cows.

Restores and cleans chalkboards.

Removes lipstick stains.

Loosens stubborn zippers.

Untangles jewelry chains.

Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.

Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.

Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.

Removes tomato stains from clothing.

Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.

Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.

Keeps scissors working smoothly.

Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.

Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.

Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.

Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.

Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.

Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.

Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.

Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.

Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.

Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.

Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.

Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.

Removes splattered grease on stove.

Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.

Lubricates prosthetic limbs.

Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).

Removes all traces of duct tape.

Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.

Florida's favorite use is: "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers."

The favorite use in the state of New York--WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.

WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time.

Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind

though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.

Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.

WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.

Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load

of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!

If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor!

Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't

have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.

Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!

P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL

15. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    You will get a fine if you use it here I used once when I was a little kid fishing at a private lake from what I remember it did'nt help enough for me to use it again.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

to lazy to properly catch fish they have to revert to killing the entire eco-system for their ineptitude in fishing.

17. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Folk it may have some good uses but we don`t need to be putting junk like wd 40 in our waters

18. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ive asked the same question to a lot of ol timers and they say theres fish oil in it and it wont pollute the water. my opinion is that it will pollute the water just letting you know what ive been told

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The irresponsible ignore directions and warnings.All you have to do is read the back of the can.It seems like all the experts never do.Know it alls have no need of warnings or directions.They seem to be born knowing it all.WD 40 is great for what it was meant to be used for.People who wish to pollute and break the law always come up with excuses to satisfy themselves.peewee-williams

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    looks like there is as much myth asscoiated with product WD40 as there is with fishing with WD40.

If it was invented in 1953 That was 8 years after WW2 and the need to displace water from the moving internal parts of a torpedo.

Is it fish oil or not.
    Some say it is a petroleum product others say fish oil.
    What does the can say?

I bet there is 25 threads on this site just like this one. They begin and end the same way everytime.:crazy:

I think the big WD40 as an attractant misnomer comes from the real fish attractants like Fish Formula or Bang. When used both these products leave an oily rainbow on the waters surface. I guess some people think that anything that does the same qualifies as a fish attractant.