WD-40

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by alton, Nov 2, 2009.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would like to know if using WD-40 on my ABU baitcasters will cause any damage. I am talking about exterior use on the levelwind, not spraying it down when disassembled. Thanks.

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I think you would be better off with a light penetrating oil like RemOil or something made specifically for fishing reels.

3. bullfish

bullfish Member

State:
    dunkirk ohio
    bass pro has some good ones .be sides some wd resido my come off on your bait.,

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Never used this, but they got a reel oil/grease kit at walmart in the fishin section that looks pretty reasonable and in budget.:wink:

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well my fellow BOC members.... I have heard that ole WD40 may be a good thing.... used for bait/lures for salmon.... may give off some oder that the ole cats kind of like too.....

My experience with WD40 is that it does degrease some... but lets dust in and collects it... good for squeeks... but not long lived...

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    it does work for bait, i have caught fish on it when i was a kid. some fairly good sized cats to be honest. however, now that im older and more environmentally friendly, i would discourage anyone from doing that. Dont put oil in our waters, they get enough from all the other pollutants with out us helping out. besides it doesn't work any better than one of the other store bought attractants like BANG or Sweet Anus and what not.

i dont like WD40, i use a oil pen with penetrating oil. its made by certified. i try to use as little grease as possible. it doesn't take alot to get the job done, and if you use to much it will collect dirt and grit that will cause more harm than good. JMO.

7. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    WD40 is a good fish attractant , it has shark oil in it.I do not like it for reel lube though.As posted earlier it will cause dust particles to stick when it dries to a residue and cause problems.Special made reel oil is not that hard to find from mail order and even three in one oil would be better.

8. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wouldn't use it on my reels. Use the oils and greese made for reels and to protect it use a line conditioning spray it keeps the dirt and grime from sticking on the outside of the reel plus adds some distance to the case. By the way don't use wd-40 to catch fish it is very harmful and its also illegal. You can't just put harmful chemicals in the water. Will hurt more than it helps. Like pouring oil in the lake.

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I'd recommend something made for reels, WD-40 will dry out and leave a residue. That stuff is gummy and it don't work like that.

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info. I have been using Reel Magic and it seems to work fine. I also use different reel oils, but thought spraying wd 40 would be a lot easier. For some reason I figured it may not be a good idea, now I know why. Thanks for the input.

11. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I keep hearing it every where I go that WD40 dries and leaves a residue. Now can anyone show me what it leave? And what they say is a residue biuld up? I have used it on guns and every thing and have never seen anything left by WD40 but oil. Nothing that is gummy or dark colored like they claim it leaves. I would use WD40 on a gun before remoil. Look at some of tests they have done. WD40 did alot better than alot of them in stopping rust.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I couldn't agree more, :wink I've used WD40 every since it came out on my guns, Bow's, rods&reels, everything that needed rust proofing and cleaned. Sprat on, wipe off and re-apply and let dry, never seen any residue biuld up of any type, and they look as new now as they did when I bought them, stocks finish and all..:cool2:

To me you cant go wrong with the stuff, the oil that you buy leaves a thicker film of residue behind IMHO and will collect more dust.

Do a test peice, half and half and let set and see what collects the most grime.:wink: you'll see what I mean.:wink:

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I spray the hell out of my hooks in my hookbox before I put em up for the winter,they,re still nice and shiny in the spring with no residue that I,ve ever seen.:wink:

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use it for everything from Guns to Warts to Bait and sometimes even om the bedsprings.:wink:

15. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I have always used WD-40 on reels. Outside & inside to clean & lube them on all moving parts. Then I use a small amount of high temp bearing grease on the gears & shafts. Done this for over 30 years never had one bit of trouble. And I still have some of the first reels I bought around 30 years ago. I have also used it in hook boxes to keep hooks from rusting back when some hooks came in small metal tins.

Now as far as using it on bait I never tried it and have no plans to. Not because others say not to I just don't see a need to because what I use works for me. However I can't understand guy's that run boats all the time telling others not to use it on bait because it puts oil in the water.LOL It would take you years to put as much oil in the water by usng wd40 on bait as a boat puts in the water in just a few trips.

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

WD 40 came on the market in 1953 Kenny, whats your secret for looking so young, WD? lol :wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am changing my mind........WD-40 is a lot cheaper than reel magic and the other specialized lubricants, and probably works just as well and is easier to apply.

18. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    To each his own and use what works best for you.I will never use wd-40 on a reel or gun.I have had a automatic browning A-5 freeze up one year goose hunting.Yes it was cold but out of the eleven hunters there only three froze up.The guide first thing he did was ask if we used wd-40 , every one of the guns that froze up had used wd-40.There is nothing wrong with wd-40 as a rust preventative when sprayed on the outside and wiped off.I just do not like to use it as a lubricant for the inside.Because you can't get most of it out.Before calling me crazy do this simple test , take a piece of metal and spray half of it with wd-40 and let it sit without wiping it off.In less than two weeks you will see a residue.I am no chemist by no means but there will be a residue.I don't know if it is the wd-40 or if dust just sticks to it but you will see a difference.I am sure most of you know that the wd in its name stands for water displacement and for that purpose it is great.That was the reason it was designed but just like duct tape it kinda works for alot of stuff.I had rather use something designed for lubrication like break free.it sprays on wet and then it dries to a dry lubrication.If you don't have time to do my simple test just use the internet it is a powerful tool just google wd-40 gun lube and see what the majority states.This is just my opinion but please do the test before saying that I am wrong.

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    QUOTE I just do not like to use it as a lubricant for the inside.Because you can't get most of it out.Before calling me crazy do this simple test , take a piece of metal and spray half of it with wd-40 and let it sit without wiping it off.In less than two weeks you will see a residue.I am no chemist by no means but there will be a residue.I don't know if it is the wd-40 or if dust just sticks to it but you will see a difference.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

WD was not intended for lubrication,as you mentioned. It does leave a thin coat, after a couple weeks you might see a couple specks of dust,

The only difference you will see you can expect that and alot more with any other(thicker)lubricant, but if your guns are kept in a case you won't see no problem with wd IMHO..

Remington makes a thin gun oil for that and it will not freeze, The heat up from all the shots caused the sweating of the metal during cool downs thus--caused the freeze ups. I myself haven't seen one freeze up useing WD in 35yrs of hunting.:wink:

Dave you mentioned (reel magic) That stuff is worth it man,, You take that ane spray on a reel that has a good low memory line on it , and let set for a day, then go cast it out and you will see that the line has been transformed into a bunch of coils,, It will flat out changes the lines memory, I had to change the line out on all my reels after useing it once,, never agian will I pick a can up,,,JMHO..Kenny :wink:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    everybody asks me that guestion LOL..
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:(ever since I can remember)that a work:smile2:

It beat me here by 6yrs:big_smile:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009