WD-40

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by tarheelbluemark, Aug 31, 2009.

1. tarheelbluemark

tarheelbluemark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a fried who sprays his cut bait with wd-40. He swears its made of pogy oil. Does anyone know if this is true. It does seem to work.

2. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm pretty sure it's a petroleum product, but I've heard that as well. I've been known to put diesel on the corn in my hog traps to keep coons out, and the hogs don't seem to mind. Maybe catfish like oil?

3. tarheelbluemark

tarheelbluemark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    It is a petroleum product. Not good. There are plenty of fish attractants on the market that don't pollute the water. :wink:

5. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Im with Austin,
    I think its potrolium as well but I have heard its also a good scent attractor for cats,,,:wink: I dont know if its a curiosity thing that brings them in and then they find your bait or if they like it:confused2:
    I use garlic spray,, A buddy taught me that this spring :wink:and it works...
    Puddle

6. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    :smile2: LOL

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    It is a petroleum product.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was allways of the impression it was a concoction made from shark oil.

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Please use something else. There are alot of sprays you can try beside polluntants.

10. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Yup, it's petroleum based. Spray some on a fire, it will burn.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I reckon I heard right somewhere along the way.:wink:

12. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Makes decent spud gun propellant!

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just did a google search,Its petrolium based,50% mineral spirits.:roll_eyes:

14. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    :crazy:
    Sorry guys for the miss info...
    Not intentional..:embarassed:
    Puddle

15. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Formulation

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented in order to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[2] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:
    The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:
    It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[3]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  16. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    The original name of WD-40 was "water dispersant formula 40". It was originally designed to disperse water from a surface (like spraying the inside of a distributor cap to remove misfires due to moisture). It was never intended for the upteen uses it has been put to over the years. It is a horrible lubricant and actually attracts water (makes steel rust faster) it also leaves a real nice slimy residue when it evaporates (gums up reels and firearms real nice). It is truly a paradox, there are individual products that do a much better job in their specific applications but WD-40 does a half way decent job in all of them!:confused2:

17. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Just keep the crap out of the water! tell your friends not to put it in the water! Here's a tip,keep it on the down low. Find a trappers supply store and buy some fish oil. it's a oil made from pressed or rendered fish depending on which kind they sell. It's like ringing the dinner bell on a strech of water when it hits the water on your bait. and it only takes a few drops. If you trap you know what I'm talking about,if you don't trap find someone who does to hook you up. they may also have crayfish oil,ya might give it a chance in crayfish holding waters:wink:

18. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    Theyre right, its water dispersent 40 because it was the 40th try to come up with something. its supposed to have shark oil in it, but i wouldnt keep usin it in the water, too much in it for pollution. anything that sais flammable and leaves a residue on the water isnt anything i would use. educate your friend and try to find some of that fish oil.

19. horsetrailer

horsetrailer New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It is NOT petroleum base, its FISH OIL!!
    Invented to keep bombs from rusting there surface in WW1 or 2.
    Some even sray there joints for artheritis