WD-40

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfisherman369, Jan 3, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Okay guys Ive heard this one more than once. If you WD-40 on a crawler or liver it attracts fish has anybody ever heard this? Does it work, if so what makes em hit it?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Even though I haven't tried this, WD-40 is supposed to be a fish attractant. Supposively, WD-40 has fish oils, acting as a lubricant and this attracts the fish when sprayed on bait. I was fishing by a gentleman a few years back. He was slamming the channels cats. Catching 4 to my 1. We were using the same bait. Nightcrawlers. Casting to the same hole. I asked him. What's up? He said he sprayed WD-40 on his crawlers and always had better success than using just plain crawlers with the natural scent.

Give it a try and post your positve or negative success stories.
    I'll try it too. Can't hurt!:wink:

3. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I've heard you can spray it on your line too, so it casts better. Always to skeptical to try it though.

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I keep sayin omega3 fish oil pills take a pin and poke a hole and squirt it all over your bait I heard that from someone on here so I can't take the credit but I wanna try it myself just because I have a bottle of 400 of them

5. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    WD-40 is mainly comprised of fish oils. It was created for a coating for rocket componets to keep them from rusting. Water Displacement is what WD stands for and the 40th try at making it worked thus you have WD-40.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jim, I've heard the same about WD-40, I tried it with no significant better results in my catches, using the same bait, one with, one without.
    My doctor recently prescribed those Omega3's for me to help lower my cholesteral, maybe I'll get some now, try what you suggested:eek:oooh::smile2:

7. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
  8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    :eek:oooh:Replys from 5 different states on this one, pretty good.:smile2:

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have heard some good things about it but it is illegal to use in WV.

10. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Now that is interesting to me. I always thought it was a petroleum product and so was a no-no to get on your hands and then fish as it was supposed to be bad as getting gas or oil on your hands. I'm gonna try it now for sure. Thanks for the info. :cool2:

11. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    you get caught using it. it is a heavy fine rick

13. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:
    The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:
    It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.
    There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I use WD 40 at work on Tools & Machinery
    &
    At Home for the same things

Now

I don't think that I want to spray some on my Bait & "I'm a Engineer" :crazy:
    (Stop & think about that one for a minute)
    :confused2:

After reading the M.S.D.S. on it, you would not want to ether.

:eek:oooh:

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
  16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I've had good luck, and bad luck with the stuff.... it does lube, but it attracts the dust as well and that is the problem that I had with it... I now us corrosion X for my electircal and reel parts and things that I need to lub with a spray... but its a thick liquid

On the WD -40... heard that the guides on the Rogue River us it for fishing and dunk their tolling baits in it...

Bayrunner Ray

17. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Someone needs to inform them that they are polluting the Rogue River.

18. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I really don't think it's safe. It looks like an oil spill when it hits the water.

19. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    There is no way I am going to use it. Too many other things out there that can help me catch fish.

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont use it and never will. I have too much respect for the lakes and the fish. Besides, it is illegal in most places and if you get caught.....well, I guess it all depends on what kind of a mood the " MAN" is in.....If you have to add oils to your baits....use the bait attractants that are sold for this purpose. I have used them with some good results!:wink: