WD-40 Part II

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by puddle jumper, Aug 31, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I went and found a old post I saw a while back,,, interesting read,,
    Also make a note of the last line...
    Puddle
    :wink:

WD-40 who knew? 'Water Displacement #40' The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water displacement' compound.. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Convair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.
    Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass.. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stove top ... Viola! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

Here are some other uses:
    1. Protects silver from tarnishing.
    2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
    3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
    4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.
    5. Keeps flies off cows.
    6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
    7. Removes lipstick stains.
    8. Loosens stubborn zippers.
    9. Untangles jewelry chains.
    10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
    11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
    12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
    13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
    14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
    15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
    16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
    17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
    18. It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
    19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
    20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
    21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
    22. Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
    23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
    24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
    25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
    26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
    27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
    28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
    29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
    30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
    31. Removes splattered grease on stove..
    32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging..
    33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
    34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
    35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
    36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
    37. Florida 's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
    38. The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.

39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
    :big_smile:

40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
    41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
    42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash.. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
    43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL. :confused2:

Who KNEW!?!?!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    The basic ingredient is NOT fish oil. If thats the case, try marinating your catfish fillets or steak in it before cooking.

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
  4. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I'm glad you found it out before you marinated a good steak in it.....:eek:oooh:

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Formulation

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented in order to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[2] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:
    The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:
    It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.
    There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[3]

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I wonder how many times this subject has come up on the board over the years? Anyone with a boat and 2 stroke motor puts more pollutants in the water per trip than someone spraying bait would in a year most likely. I don't think it's a good idea either, but not something to be fanatical enough to run off a new member over.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  7. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    That's what I was thinking too. Not to mention all the runoff of gas or oil from every concrete or asphalt surface that makes it to the water. Pollution from someone using it for bait is just a small drop in the bucket compared to all the other petroleum pollution that makes it to the water.

There have actually been several articles about people using chicken breast soaked in WD40 around here, including a guide. We've tried it with mixed results. It only worked well in one place last year, and it was the #1 bait then, but then this year absolutely nothing on it. Mostly just channels and turtles caught on it anyway. I'm not even worried with using it even more, sticking to my cut and live baits now.

8. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    I got that in an email few months back. When you get any email that you question is true or not try this site out and see. It has a lot of good stuff but they check out those emails and tell you if there is any truth to them.

www.truthorfiction.com

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Keeps flies off cows huh? well good to know lol.:smile2:Ok so would you spray it on your cow?and if so do you realize how much WD-40 it would take to hose down a cow,or a heard of cows? Amazing :smile2:

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Here we go with the WD 40 again

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ecological Information on HEXANE
    Environmental Fate:
    When released into the soil, this material may biodegrade to a moderate extent. When released into the soil, this material is not expected to leach into groundwater. When released into the soil, this material is expected to quickly evaporate. When released into water, this material may biodegrade to a moderate extent. When released to water, this material is expected to quickly evaporate. When released into the water, this material is expected to have a half-life between 1 and 10 days. This material has an estimated bioconcentration factor (BCF) of less than 100. This material has a log octanol-water partition coefficient of greater than 3.0. This material is not expected to significantly bioaccumulate. When released into the air, this material is expected to be readily degraded by reaction with photochemically produced hydroxyl radicals. When released into the air, this material is expected to have a half-life between 1 and 10 days.
    Environmental Toxicity:
    No information found.

Explanation of MINERAL OIL and it's many uses
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

After studying these explanations I don't believe I will worry to much about people using WD. I may even use it my self on occasion. I think I will just stop buying cold cream and laxatives and baby lotion to make up for it! :wink:

12. tarheelbluemark

tarheelbluemark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sorry about bringing up a topic that had been brought before. I'm new around here and even tho it's a dead horse around here I got a lot of information so thanks to everyone for the responses and info.:big_smile:

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    No problem, just something that can turn very heated, very fast. Welcome to the BOC Mark. You'll like it here if you enjoy catfishing and bsing.

14. tarheelbluemark

tarheelbluemark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Guilty on both charges. :tounge_out:

15. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    thanks for sharing John!

16. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ok, I don't know how wd-40 works for fishing, bit I can say two things about it.

#1. My mother-on-law uses it on her knees, and swears it makes her joints feel better.

#2. I just went down stairs and tried it on the Marble floor. I could find nothing to clean that floor. The flooring people wanted to strip the finish off the marble and refinish it, for about $18/square foot. I used the wd-40, and rubbed it hard with a soft rag. Cleaned it up great.

Thanks for posting the uses at the start of this thread.

17. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr