WD-40 on catfish baits

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by lnghr22, Jul 17, 2006.

1. lnghr22

lnghr22 New Member

State:
    Texas
    ive heard this many of times but does it really work? it pollutes the water but not near as bad as boats do so will some1 please help me out thanx

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Please don't put WD-40 in on your bait. It's not a good thing at all, and a lot of places it is illegal. It is jsut not good. Flatheads like live bait.

3. lnghr22

lnghr22 New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanx i wont put wd-40 on my bait i just heard it on this site and was curious thanx for the advice

4. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    WD-40 stands for Water Displacement 40th formula. It messes up the water more than your regular chemicals and you get VERY big charges for using it on your bait. My friend was using it to make a part of his boat stop squeaking, he forgot to put it away where he left it was by his tacklebox and we were fishing. I think the fine was like $500

5. lnghr22

lnghr22 New Member

State:
    Texas
    it does pollute the water but does it really work ive heard of it on this site dont know, will yall please help me out

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    You can add a scent trail to your bait by many other means than by wd-40. Just not good for the waterways.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Check the flathead discussion, already posted their.

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You might catch a fish today but you'll lose the river tomorrow. Please dont use wd40 on baits or lures.

9. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i've heard people had sucess with WD40 i'd rather use something else
    than pulluting the water

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Please, dont use WD-40 on ur bait, its bad for the water.

11. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    i tried it several years ago a couple times didnt get asd many hits with it then i did without

12. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i even tried pop once

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Please do not use WD40.Good for somethings but not for our waters or our fish. Use something else.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    IT Does Not Work !!!

Is that what you wanted to hear, LOL!!!

15. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    well guys i hate to put my dog in this fight,but i cant stand it any longer....about 3 yrs ago.i was fishing with a good friend of mine,,when he threw his rod out it maid a real loud grinding noise,now i knew he needed some oil but i had no oil so i reached in the compartment of my boat and handed him some wd40,he sprayed his reel down heavy. well the next 2hrs he caught around 20 or 30 fish just as fast as his line hit the water...i couldnt figure this out,but then it hit me the only thing he did different than me was the wd40.well you guess it i used it and believe it or not it does work,,,now i know everyone is probably got something to say smart about polution and all and i'm sorry but i used for 2 yrs and caught fish,just ask jw he was right their using it to.now after i joined the boc and heard everybodys remarks i respected everyones thoughts and stopped using it,i apologize again but it does work....i cant speak for ol jw i think he still might use this stuff,i dont know.but i DO NOT USE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!i consider myself a real catfishing fool and i cant get enough of it....i'll fish until i die..........

16. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Me and my dad used to use it when we where drift fishing with shrimp. Yes it did work but like everyone else is saying its bad for the fish and everything else that lives in the water. Try putting anise oil or garlic powder on your baits they work and wont hurt the fish. I don't think its illegal in Texas to spray WD 40 on your baits but do you like catching fish? if so dont use it cuz you wont be catching fish when all the lakes in Texas are polluted. :ah:

17. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I've heard it works, never tried it, but I reckon I never will, if it pollutes and don't break down and go away. Got enough pollution in our water now, I don't need to add more. Thanks for the heads up.

18. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Anthony;
    I think that "WD-40" story has been around about as long as the WD-40 itself!!
    To SPECIFICALLY ANSWER YOUR QUESTION that many others are not really seeing it seems I can only say this.
    Personally, in times past, (during the last century or so :wink: ) I know of people that tried it because they too heard that it worked. From what I was able to observe on a few of these outings, IT did NOT work.
    I knew a couple of older gents in the construction trades years ago that used it on their hands every day for old "Arthur" and swore by it but as something to put on your lures or baits, I can't recommend it.
    I can tell from your question that you are a conscientious person because your are asking a question for information rather than just going out and doing it! For that I congratulate you on your common sense! :big_smile: For that I am going to "Rep" ya. Don't worry, it won't hurt!:wink:
    I thing with all the different legal baits available today that you would have a much better chance trying out several of those. At lease they are biodegradable unlike that "WD" stuff. Look as some of the many baits that some of our Sponsors carry and I think you will find something that WILL Work! :big_smile: These folks would not be selling their wares full time if it did not work so give that a try.
    However, having said all of that I am sure there will be the same question come up about something else with solvent properties that has been mentioned as a "super-bait additive" too, so I will address it here in this post too.
    It's called "DMSO" or in plain language; Dimethyl Sulfoxide.
    Back in my construction days, I knew a couple of other older gents in the construction trades that were also involved with racing horses! They used DMSO as a liniment for their horses after a hard day at a race to keep them from getting stiff too fast after a hard race because that would cause huge muscle spasms which could potentially do permanent damage to a racing horse!
    They also used it on their hands every day for old "Arthur", which is another name for "Arthritis", and swore by it because the results were immediate pain relief and mobility of their stiffened joints. It DOES work for that because I occasionally use it on my hands when they try to cramp up after too many hours using the wood carving tools!
    These same people used DMSO when they went Catfishing on the Ohio and said it worked! I believe they said that it was the "sulfur" in it that the fish could smell and that it drove them wild just like catnip does on a cat!:crazy: I'll have to take their word for it and those same men are now long gone. I don't know if it was old age, or the DMSO, or just their time. But DMSO should NOT be used on lures, or baits, either!
    Now, to the important part of this Post.
    WELCOME TO THE BOC! We are GLAD to have ya. ALWAYS feel free to ask a question as most of our Brother's and Sister's are always willing to help each other out by sharing the knowledge with each other and the new members too. In fact, many times the new members bring in some new ideals that have not been tried before too! So ask away and if by chance someone asks a question that you know the answer too or can help with then jump right in and make a post! If you agree with, or disagree with, a post that someone has made, approach it in the way you did your question and you will find yourself in a lively conversation where there is no telling what we all may learn! :wink:
    Hope my post helps you on your primary question. I'd say use the WD-40 on the door hinges and leave it out of the boat or tackle box. But your an adult so you can make your own observations and decisions. :-D
    If there is anything that Dreadnaught/Brother J.W. or I can do to help you out, or most any of the other Brother's and Sister's, don't hesitate to ask!
    Once again, GLAD TO HAVE YA WITH US!:wink:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

19. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Use some turkey blood or skip jack oils for your attractants and you will be better offÂ…

20. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I once worked with a man who had at one time commercial fished..he told me that they would get a trotline and make a big ball out of it,hooks hanging everywhere...soak it with motor oil and chunck it in the river..the cats had a sensor that ran along their side and they would "roll" onto the ball and get hooked.. he said they caught many a fish this way..:crazy:
    I have never tried it, but i have seen the oil slick that floats around the back of ones motor while sitting still fishing...