WD-40 On Bait

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by xringer3, Feb 20, 2007.

1. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was showed a trick this last summer by a buddy who I guess was keeping a secret from me all these years. He was the only one sitting on the bank catching any fish. He finally showed me he was spraying his pieces of shad with WD-40. He said he was shown this by an ol-timer.

I didn't think much of it until the next week when they weren't bitting again. I had a can of WD-40 in the truck, and sprayed in on the piece of shad. Not long, there was a bite. I then sprayed the bait on all the rods, and they all started getting bites.

Has anyone else tried this? It seems to work pretty good when they're slow to bite.

Vince

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It works for both salt and fresh water
    Jake

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Vince the idea of using wd-40 as a attractant has been around for years, it is also very controversial. Personally Ive never tried it for several reasons. It is a chemical and and by using it some areas may consider it polluting. My biggest concern is the possible effect That it would have if the fish ingested the bait sprayed with wd-40. I don't think id want to eat one. Just my opinion but i dont think its a good idea.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    I have to agree with Steve on this one vince, and have heard this one before.

But I have just one question for the people that do use it that always buged me:
    "Why would you what to use something that you use on rusted parts, to catch fish that you may eat?
    (Think about that :0a14: )

But don't take this in the wrong way, maybe that just the way I look at it.
    :0a28:

Take it easy.
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

5. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    ive herd it and it works but i dount use it very much mabey once in a blue moon.

6. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Why use a petroleum product that will leak residue into the lake, in any amount.

There are no TRICKS to bait.... the best rule is to find what they are feeding on and use that. If you are having a hard time getting catfish to bite, most likely its because they are not there. Move your boat to a new location.

I really think catfish will gord themselves until they will almost POP for food. Caught this one catfish that the belly was so HUGE.... when we cleaned it, cut the stomach open to see what it had. We counted 65 shad in its belly.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    sometimes when the bite is slow i will use little tricks. like putting a little garlic powder on my shad, or a tiny amount of sea salt on shad or perch fillets.
    I do not know how much it helps but when the fish have alot of bait in the water maybe it will make mine stand out from rest.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Ahhh..... the debate continues... I wouldn't use it in a million years.... (except on a live feral cat [long story])

However, to those that say it is such a horrible idea, think about how much polluting you are doing by spraying a bait.... compared to firing up a 1985 Mercury 50hp 2 stroke outboard. Which puts a bigger slick in the water? Both environmental pollutants are done with the full knowledge of the perpetrator, yet one is MUCH more acceptable.

Why is that? :roll_eyes:

9. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    ok, but one issue belongs to your motor which for the most part you can't control unless you went full electric or break out a paddle.

The WD-40 is FULLY 100% in your control.

I know this can be debated over and over but its just my opinion not to pollute to the best of my ability.

10. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WD 40 is a petroleum product, why would you introduce into fishing waters on purpose?

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Let's see now, this is the lebenty-leventy time we've had this discussion, and all we've found out is the following:
    1. It works---at least some of the time.
    2. There are rumors that it contains fish oils, but the company says it doesn't.
    3. While effective for loosening rusted tools, etc., and being a good lubricant of low speed moving parts, if sprayed on high speed bearings or such, it will break down and cause the bearings to lock up. So, it ain't exactly regular oil.

It may be that WD-40 is extremely polluting, over a long period of time; or, it may be a very minor pollutant, and/or for a very short time. This question isn't going to be settled till we see some test results, either on the product itself, or on the various contents of the product. Anybody got any ideas where we could find such information?

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can 100% control your motor by fishing from the bank...:lol:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

13. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    If you cant find fish without putting WD 40 on your bait, then maybe you shoud hang up your rods...Even if you dont plan on eating the fish you catch, would you like to eat a piece of pizza with WD 40 on it, it would prolly kill you..No telling what it does to the fish once you release it.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If it enhances bait, that would be the only thing it's good for.

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well said! :big_smile:

16. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Question for you. What does WD-40 stand for? Don't look it up, just give your best guess or if you know.

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City

Water displacment formula 40. It took the inventor 40 tries before He got it right!

18. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if my memory severs me right... water dispersion or displacement... something like that

Yep.. trashing my boat and will start bank fishing soon, LOL

19. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Very good sir.Figured most here would know it. Never even thought about it till a year ago when a friend ( old mopar head from way back ) asked me. 25 gold coins to you . Any way, I don't think we should add any pollutants to our water. Heck stink bait is bad enough.

20. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Let's see now. Just a few ways to pollute our lakes, rivers and streams:

Nature calls...I know each and every one of you bank the boat or go looking for a porta potty or some other means of relieving yourself without it getting into the water or water table. Sounds silly, but let the big city release any amount of sewage into a river and see what you think.

Commercial Bait Attractants: Try finding the ingredients for this sweet smelling concoction of oil and fat. LOL Ever wonder why catfich bait spray smells like 90 weight gear oil? Yes, I tried it a long time ago.

Are you a smoker? I wonder how many of you guys that smoke pop your cig butts off in the river when you're fishing.

Outboards: Any motor puts gas and oil in the water. Each trip on the water probably deposits more oil and fuel and the additives in them to the water than a small can of WD-40 in it's entirety. I wonder how much a barge tow boat pollutes?

Circle hooks? Wasn't the great old circle hook designed to be a way of attaining more hookups? What was wrong with J hooks? Someplaces say it should be against the law because it gives a fisherman an unfair advantage. Maybe if we can't use a J hook, we should hang up our gear.

I wonder what's in a bar of ivory soap that isn't natural?

I don't use anything on my bait for an attractant, course I just about exclusively use cut bait these days. I have tried garlic, onion, anise, vanilla, etc. They all work to some extent. I guess if you try to put the odds in your favor with any of the above, you're less of a fisherman. Oh well, I guess I'm less of a fisherman then or at least I used to be. Bottom line is if it's legal, it's OK. If it's wrong and legal, get it changed. I wonder how many other ways we can all come up with to gang up on a new member. Keeping big fish or not CPRing them? Using a gaf to land fish? Noodling Flatheads? Jug fishing? Trotlines? Dang, we're all so perfect sometimes.