WD-40...Hazard to our Youth and fishing?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by channelcat_tracker, Jun 21, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now I have NEVER used this before. I have sat next to other bank fisherman, when neither of us got any bites for about a half hour to an hour, they have pulled out a small can of WD-40 and sprayed some on their bait, flung it out, and waited for about 5 to 10 minutes and then set the hook on catfish well over 10 pounds. Now they tell me that I should try it and Ive given considerable amount of thought into it and now I know whats wrong with it. ITS FREAKING PETROLIEUM BASE!!!!!!!! that means, that people swim in the mississippi with no problems but yet theirs a bunch of crap in the water. And once you throw in petroleum, that just adds more and more pollution to the water. Dont these fisherman think abou tthe kids in the future?!?!?! because if they keep putting in more pollution at a rising spand then they might as well forget about the future because soon the rivers will be hazardous to swim in and then we cant even fish. Wow I thought these fishermen were here to set a good example instead of showing us wrong. This makes me sick!!!!!:angry: Wow I thought some people were better than I expected!

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with you Tony and I also have never used it. Another thing I wonder about is, have you ever noticed the oil/fuel slick around some of these various boat motors? Is that also contributing to the pollution of our waters? Pollution may fall into the category of what ones definition of "is", is...:confused2:

3. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I don't use wd40 but I would like to see a study done to determine if it is harmful or not. If it was posionous it would say on the can and offer advice to cal the posion center. There are a lot of petrolem prodects out there including one you mama probley aplied to your behind when you were young, how about baby oil ever seen that at the beach. There are a lot more evil things than wd40 out there that wil do us and earth great harm we just need to priorities our worries.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING

4. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I have sprayed WD-40 on my line on my surf rods. It adds another 5-10 yards to a cast.

5. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i think its an unethical practice. it just entices a fish to bite but its harmful and can make the water hazardous! just letting my point be thrown across the table!

6. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    For those that doubt the wisdom of NOT using WD-40, look up the term DMSO as in petroleum distillates. It does NOT HAVE A CARCINOGEAN (spelling) label, but remember it is a petroleum distillate and petro companies are notorious for NOT taking responsiblity for what they feed us or place in our waters.. It WILL cause liver damage, proven FACT. If a fish knocks a chunk of liver off a hook that is treated with WD-40 and it does NOT get hooked it will most likely digest that liver absorbing the distilate. How much it will take to affect you is questionable, but I don't think I want to lose a grandchild to something that is avoidable. I've heard of people using WD-40. BRAKE FLUID, and several other "distillates" but is it really that important to catch that "big" fish to risk NOT only the little fish that steal your bait, but that "big" fish you SHOULD put back after CPR?????? It's a question of worrying about those little things we DO HAVE CONTROLL OVER, when we learn to controll them we will find we are much better equipted to controll those big problems......

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    William!You are right.It does not say a thing about poisonous or calling the poison center.NOW right under the word "DANGER",it does say words like"call physician immediately"and "harmful or fatal."on the can in my hand.Yup! I follow the directions and use it.peewee-williams

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you should see where the storm sewers dump into the river here when it rains real hard! all those oil drippings, tranny fluid, etc that is on the streets are flowing into the river with the water, looks like a huge oil spill sometimes. there is no way wd-40 can compare to that!

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    even more of a reason to not use it as an attractant....theres already too much bad stuff in the water , why add more?