wd 40 - Have you heard that it attracts catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by michaelgriffis, Oct 8, 2007.

1. michaelgriffis

michaelgriffis New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    has anyone heard of using wd40 to attract fish?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yep, I've heard of it. Don't do it myself. Personal preffrence.

For some reason, I feel a storm a brewin.

3. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC

it does work as a fish attractant....

When I was young and didn't know any better I soaked several of my rapalas in a bowl full of wd-40 to clean the rusted hooks....the next day while fishing the Ohio river I couldn't keep the walleyes off my rapalas...caught over 40 walleyes that day...my friends fishing next to me couldn't believe it....they only caught a handfull compared to my catch...they were not big but it started a freeding frenzy...

but if used in high doses will cause the water to become polluted as it never disicipates...thats what the wd stands for...water displacement

So I don't do that anymore!!!

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    ive herd it works, but never have done it. but, i dont see why its ok running a 250 HP Mercury on a lake but as soon as someone says somethin about sprayin a little WD40 on some cutbait then everyone wants to run em outta town.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've been trying to figure out if it works also. If your like me you don't want to risk it because if it doesn't work you've got this wd40 all over your line and gear. This is my conclusion...so far..... I've talked to tons of people while fishing lakes /river shores. Out of all of those people that said wd40 works so good I've never seen one of them pull a can out of there tackle box to spray there bait/lures. I've since bought one of those tiny cans and keep it with me. This way the next person that tells me that it works good is gonna get his bait shot with it , lol. Maybe next time I'm about to change my line I will try it. I also wonder if it will break down certain types of line or hurt the water...I would think it does.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive heard that it works, never tried it myself because of personal angling code of ethics that I live by.

7. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    It works. My Uncle used to run trotlines and he sprayed every cheese ball or diped it in non detergent 30w oil for years. I've sprayed live bait just to see messing with bream and side by side they hit the worms that is sprayed faster and harder and it seemed to get the larger bream first... I dont make a habit of it because I know the oil from my old 2 stroke is polluting enough... Wish I had the cash for one of those new 4 strokes or Electric outboards....

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes It works. I have a friend that uses it a lot and catches a lot of channels with it. He ran out of cut beeef one night and tied small rags to his hooks, sprayed with WD40 and continued to catch fish all night.

9. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Back when I was younger my fishing buddy and I put it to a pretty good test (catfishing) on live and cut bait in several rivers. Our conclusion was that it didn't hurt anything in any way, but we never could say for certain that it was helpful either. So, we decided to save it for use as a lubricant.

10. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Ive heard that but never tried or seen it, Ive also heard of people useing Ivory soap.

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I personally wouldn't use it myself. The rivers get polluted enough without me contributing to it by spraying WD-40 on my bait.JMO

12. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    This subject has been asked and tossed around many, many times. It causes mixed reactions, each and every time it its brought up. I personally use it for rusted bolts and things like that, NOT for FISHING. Does it hurt to use it on your bait? Good question, but I prefer to go with my gut feeling of not using it on my bait..

13. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    LOL,no havent heard that.

14. michaelgriffis

michaelgriffis New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i see both sides. I think if we dump burnt gas and oil in the water from the exhaust of the motors all the way to the fishing hole. what's a little squirt of wd 40 going to hurt? i've talked to some people and they are against using wd40 they say it gives the fisherman an unfair edge, but will use chum to try and catch more fish? go figure?

15. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    Any idea what it is about the WD40 that actually attracts the fish? Is it the scent? Thanks...

16. martomhan

martomhan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've never heard of using WD-40 for fishing. I purchased (don't remember the name) of some spray catfish bait at Walmart. Just wanted to try it, I put a little spray on my worm. It works like a charm. Probably will not use it again because it is so greasy. Caught a personal record # of catfish that day.:roll_eyes:

17. hungupagain

hungupagain New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    dont really know about wd 40. but i know for sure that ivory soap in the river just cleans the water,i couldnt keep it on the hook.

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ive used many times in the river where I fish and will tell you it works especially well for flatties on cut bait. I dont think a squirt of WD-40 is goona hurt the enviroment anymore than you standing a peeing over the side of your boat. It is made of shark oils and Bass fisherman have been using it for years on the artificial worms to keep them fresh and I think that is where it got started at. I will say without a doudt it will help your bite and wont hurt it.

19. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    yeah and i would have to ask u not to use it in oak hollow lake in high point nc bc we already have a pob with oils and other materials that dont decentagrate and i know ur thinking its only a little but you know the story a little does a lot and if you do it every one can also so please not in our lake i dont mean to be mean or tell you what to do or not to do or try to start anything but it would just help if u didnt
    thnx
    nate:wink:

20. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    iv never used it befor but all these keen tucky boys that iv been fishing with for the last year all carry a can in there boats they will be along befor long if they see wd40 on here they all swear by it there is one old bald guy out there that has named his can eric 69