Ways to hook a live shad

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by hirotamus, Aug 21, 2009.

1. hirotamus

hirotamus New Member

State:
    AR
    How is everyone hooking live shad? I heard from bottom lip through upper lip through the nose, below the dorsal fin, and through the eyes. My question for those who hook through the bottom lip through upper lip is eventhough that's the strongest part of the shad but isn't it easy for the fish to just yank the shad from the hook if it bites on the body of the shad instead of swallowing it whole?

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    it dont matter where you hook them they aint gonna stay alive long but i hook mine through both eyes or if they are big shad i hook them behind the dorsal fin as shallow as possible to keep from injuring the spinal column.

3. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hook them from the bottom of the jaw up through the top of the head. They don't stay alive long :smile2: but they generally do not come off. I don't think they are going to stay alive long anyway so I at least want them to stay on the hook.

I'm a beginner so I'm sure there are better ways out there. I got my method off of here though. These guys on are really good to share their experience so just ask!

Good luck! :big_smile:

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Below the dorsal and near the tail are good places.:wink:

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Hooked thru the eyes seems tom keep them going for several minutes.