Ways to fix trout...

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by Zebco 33, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First of all, hi, I'm Jerry and I just registered. I looked at a few fishing sites and this one seems to fit.

Ok, on 10/20 the IL DNR stocked several lakes with trout. Being from Southern Illinois, I haven't fished for trout for awhile and the kids never have. So we went and caught our limit and had a great time. Now I have about four meals worth in the freezer after I fixed trout tonight. I grilled them, just salt and pepper with a piece of bacon in the belly thrown on the grate. They tasted ok to me, but the family is use to bass and cats and crappie, so they weren't use to the stronger taste.

Does anyone know of a way to cook these 12"-14" lake trout so they aren't so "fishy" to those not use to them?

Jerry

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I normally just deep fry my fish batter it up throw it in the fryer and there ya go.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Marinate em overnight or all day in milk, throw the milk away, roll in scrambled eggs then into crushed (about the size of cornmeal) potato chips, fry as usual.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I do a lot of stocked trout fishing here in eastern Iowa. Have caught many over the years. I have had them smoked, grilled, fried, oven baked. They are or can be extremely "fishy". I find Browns to be the best tasting. Chuck has it. Overnight soak in something really helps. I have found though that when I fillet them, if I skin them at the same time it improves their "taste" considerably even without soaking. Fresh trout, ones caught that day and cooked that day are not as good as overnight in the fridge, or removed from the freezer and thawed. Seems they have to "relax" first. Fried is the best, but we have smoked as many as 200 of them at a time and they are really good. John.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome,Jerry. I like to smoke them or broil in the ovenwith lemon juice and butter and a dash of black pepper.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Trout are fishy for sure. My wife and kids tend to not like a fish cooked whole or just gutted/head off. I say its more mental but I don't dare to argue because that makes it worse. So on that note, maybe that's really part of it. I wasn't sure if the bass , cats etc that they usually eat were filleted.

If that's not it, I would say fry them in a batter.... I think that's the best way to avoid any fish taste.

I myself love to eat fish but have to draw that taste out some. I always cut the head and gut. Then you need to get out that black blood line inside the rib cage and spine..atleast for rainbows like we have. Just slice it and rub with your thumb all the down it will come out. Next I soak them in salt water with ice on top. I always let them sit in the fridge for 24hrs. After that I rinse them off thoroughly and yep.....in the freezer they go. I totally agree that freezing them first is the way to go.......(BTW, spaghetti sauce is another food that is always better after freezing) .

I throw a trout eating/ horseshoe throwing/ beer drinking party once a year for all my friends. I'm Like you.... on the BBQ, prepared the way I mentioned, rinsed really good and stuffed with lemon,garlic, onion, parsley, and butter. No salt at all because I already soaked them in salt. Wrap them lightly in buttered foil until it hit 145F.

But all said and done they just plain out might never like trout, I know, hard to believe but possible, LOL. Another suggestion is to take your trout heads and go catch some cats for them. That way you can still all enjoy a beautiful fish dinner together.

I hope this helps ya, and welcome to the BoC -Jim-

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Lake trout are a very oily fish and the oil is where the strong taste come from so be sure to remove the skin and soak overnight like was suggested. Ive found that the best way to cook them is by baking.

8. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys for the info so far.....

I scaled them, gutted them, and removed the gills and made them "pretty" for the plate. In the "wild", I would just salt and pepper them, put a bit of bacon grease on the bely cavity, and on the fire they went.

These were 10" to 14" trouts, and I was wondering how you fillet them? I've filleted crappie, bluegill, bass, lagre cats, and walleye, but I never filleted a trout. I noticed they had a smaller line of bones off of the spine and it didn't look like I cold fillet them the normal way I usually do. I'm I making a mistake?

+1 on brook trout! My favorite way of eating them is to pan fry them in bacon fat over a camp stove. They are a great tasting fish.

Jerry

9. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Jerry. The way I do up my trout is I head gut and scale them (like jim mentioned remove the blood line). Soak in buttermilk for a few hours or overnight. Pull the fish out of the buttermilk and let sit and drain on some paper towels. put some lemon juice, butter and a slice of bacon in the gut with some salt and pepper. Wrap in Aluminum foil and cook on grill. You will have to play around with times abit depending on the temp and size of fish. You will know its done if you can unwrap the foil and grab the tail and gently pull. If it is cooked properly the whole skeleton will come out of the meat intact. Bonless trout without having to fillet it.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I always like to keep them cold as possible after catching so I throw them in the cooler. After I clean them and rub out that blood vein I soak them in ice water for about 30 minutes, let drain pretty good and marinate in lemon, thyme and dill, salt and pepper. Then I just pan fry them.

11. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    We are going trout fishing the day after Thanksgiving, We will fix some for shore lunch. We clean them like the others said and pan fry them also in lemon peper,salt,Butter,and garlic and a few dill leaves. Not to many dill leaves because they are very strong. If Im home I add some pan roasted almond slivers.

12. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    A bit of ginger helps to cut down on the fishy taste. Another method is to use black bean paste and minced garlic. I don't know how easily you can get Oriental condiments where you are, though.

-- Rich

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    clean em, gill em... get out the blood at the back... be sure to scale em.... pan fry em in shallow grease... until the tail is like a potato chip...use fork to peal off the fillet from one side of bone, and then the other....havent had any "moss tasting" trout in years... more from warmer waters... slow waters...

good eating... bayrunner ray

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    lay fillets skin down on cooky sheet. season with salt pepper garlic and onion powder dill brown sugar and pats of butter. bake @ 350 20min, very tasty stuff!!!!! can do them on grill to with foil packets and same seasons.

15. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like to gut the cut off heads tails. season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt, stuff the belly with butter and bake in aluminum foil on 325* for 30 mins they fall apart and melt in you mouth.
    :wink:

16. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    After you gut 'em & scale 'em, wrap 'em in foil with a slice of bacon, a little lemon juice, and whatever spices you prefer. Dice in some green onions if you gott'em. Put the foil in the coals (or in the oven @350) and you gotta yummy meal in 15 - 20 minutes (depending on the size).

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have to go with PeZ, I spent a month in Montanna when I was 16. My aunt lived outside of Wilsall about 40 miles into the back country, they were 3 miles from their mail box lol. Anyway I fished the Sheilds river every day for a month and ate trout for dinner every night lol. Browns and Cuts, I'd just gut them and remove the heads, leave the scales and skin on. My aunt would place them on foil and add onions and pats of butter then salt and pepper, seal them up and bake. I was a kid so I didn't see how long she cooked them or at what temp. But when I split open that foil and dug in, that was the best fish I ever ate. I don't know if it was cause they were wild caught as opposed to tank raised fish. But they were good.

18. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    After much baking and grilling......

I think I like the smaler trouts cleaned and gilled, seasoned with salt, pepper, dill, and lemon served with melted butter.

A close second is a cleaned trout, then beheaded and skinned, rolled in breading and fried. The smaller bones seems to cook up and you don't notice them. The kids like it best this way.

Thanks for the recipes guys!

Jerry

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    lemon, rosemary, thyme, pan fry in butter. and ya don't even need to behead them or scale em. after you get all the meat off, you can eat the skin like a potato chip.

20. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    TIp of the week from Wyoming;

Try soaking them in lemon juice or pink lemonade.

the aciditiy of the lemons breaks down and dissolves alot of the fat and grease associated with coldwater fish. And ya gotta have fried taters with trout. Just doesnt taste the same without em

Maybe that will help ya out,

Dru