Way down younder on the Chattahoochie

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by redbone, Sep 3, 2009.

1. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    I am starting this new thread to stir up some conversation around fishing the chattahoochie from columbus georgia to eufaula alabama. There is approx. 60 miles of river here. Lets hear what you guys have to say about that

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    welcome to the BOC.......i beleive you're smack dab in the middle of Hilljack territory.....there's a whole gang of catfishers down that way.

3. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    i have met a few over the years. some have even taken my money a time or two. we have all had fun along the way. i have a son who is 10... and on fire for fishing...should make for some great years to come :wink:

4. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    i have always liked to catch my bait when i get to the water. it has become difficult this past year to catch skip jacks here. anyone got any tips or tricks on catching them this time of the year ???

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great stretch of river! I really enjoy fishing it and it never ceases to amaze me. I am still waiting to break 30 pounds on it, but I know my day is coming soon.

6. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Well you can try down at mead or fish the lights along the pier at florence marina with minnows or jigs but I have had no luck finding them.
    I sometimes leave a bucket on the pier and tell the crappie fishermen to put all skipjacks (shaky heads) that they catch in it. The skips are thin this year for some reason.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  7. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Just keep on with what you are doing Shane and you will put one in the boat before you know it.

8. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Well you know that the river is full of Skip jacks ....we just need to figure out how to catch them...

9. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The skips migrate. I am wondering if we should be fishing below the dam in Eufaula?

10. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    typically i like to use 2 or 3 crappie jugs fished on one line to try and entice the little baby tarpoons to bite. I read yesterday that some folks are catching them on sako rigs. Has anyone tried that around here ? Maybe down sizing is the way ?? I dont know ??:confused2:

11. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I have used them before and caught some on the rig.
    I have never seen the skip jack so hard to find before and I've been catching them all my life on the hooch.
    Three years ago we had some big 2-3lb skipjack last year we had 1-2lb skipjack and this The skipjack that I have seen have been .5-1lb and hard to find.
    The spring run didn't last as long this year as it normally does I usually get enought in one day to last the whole year though I tend to give away a lot of them to people.

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Sebrune, sure hope ya don't mind a NC girl interruptin' your thread with a song. Even if ya do, it's done. :smile2:

Not the BEST video in my opinion, pretty cool car(s) though.

[youtubevid]6nYX6QsXITE[/youtubevid]

Music makes the world go 'round.

That's right......

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  13. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    do not mind the interlude at all. I just wished I could make the music play. Maybe I am insane ( Or computer illiterate ) :0a22:

14. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Sebrune

15. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Anybody hitting the hooch today? Need some updates, where the fish at brothers?

16. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    3pm and i just got to work.... sorry bro hilljack not me today

17. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Not me either, I am betting next weekend will work well for me and perhaps even a day or two the week after that.

18. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    i am planning on going friday evening sept 11th. should be putting in at rotary park around 6:30 ish if anyone wants to get together and fish for around 4 hours or so. i would like to see how everyone does. my big boat is at Randal marines getting an annual tune up. dont know if he will have it back to me by friday or not. So i might have to fish in my john boat instead. Either way if the good lord is willing i am going to be out there :big_smile:

19. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Friday might be a little too early for me, but I will see what I can do. If Grandma comes down, I might be able to swing it. My boat is also going thru some repairs. I ripped the whole front out to install a homemade, larger livewell. If all goes well, I will be done on time for a test run on the weekend.

20. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    what ever happened to that one you were testing out ? Want to sell it . I may have a spot for it in my skiff .