Waxing bow strings

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Chrisingeorgia, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Can anyone tell me how often the string on my compound needs to be waxed?? I've only had it for a couple of weeks now and have been shooting every day. The string is starting to get tiny little fibers sticking off of it. Does the entire string need to be waxed, or just the unserved portion?

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    it is a good idea to wax it every 3-6 months but if you are shooting it alot then adjust to like 1 1/2 -3 months one ? is the bow brand new or used if it is new then i would wax it right away if it is used i would replace the string just mt 2 cents

3. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Hey baitfish, get you a silicone rubber for your peep. Mines been on my bow goin on three years now and still like new. They said its lifetime guaranteed. I guess i'm gonna find out if it is or if it isn't. I got tired of replacing it ever year and having to adjust my sights. If i'm shooting mine alot before season i'll wax it every two three weeks. It doesnt hurt it. I'll take my fingers and rub up and down it til the string gets good and warm from the friction melting the wax.

4. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Back to waxing a bow....When waxing a bow string I put wax on bow string then take a soft piece of light leather fold over string and rub back and forth the length of string till wax is heated and melts into string. Sure helps me and in warm weather I wax more often. What the heck wax is cheap and will really protect your string. Any sign of a string strand breaking replace string immediately. Good shooting.

5. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks for the input guys, it's been a big help. I'm probably just over reacting because the bow is brand new and I wasn't sure if the slight fraying of the string was a bad sign. The string is a zebra barracuda. Anyhow, I ordered some string wax today and will hold off on shooting anymore until it gets here.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Is there a certain wax to use? Would gulf wax be okay? Ive had my bow for a few years but have never waxed it, but it is stored in a case. The only fraying on mine is right where you attach the release.

7. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I would stick to a wax used expressly for bowstring's.

8. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    What kind of wax do they use for the bowstring wax? I can get a large amount of beeswax but I dont want to use it if its not going to work.

chris

9. bowtech29

bowtech29 New Member

State:
    TN
    I use Tex-Tite made by Bohning you can get it at any retail store in the sporting goods section or at your local outdoors store. It is only a couple of dollars and is well worth the investment when you figure a new Zebra Twist string is around 60 dollars.