Waxahachie Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by BW94, May 30, 2007.

1. BW94

BW94 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Ya'll, I'm new to the Boc. What a great site. I was wondering if anyone out there might know of any good catfishing spots in Waxahachie Lake. Thanks and catch one for me, BW94

2. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    i used to sneak behind the spillway. theres a big deep blue hole, just crammed full of all kinds of fish. i used crawfish, minnows, shrimp and worms. the fish hit everything.

3. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    I am from Red Oak and I have never really had much luck on Waxahachie. I know they have that fishing tournment out there but no one has ever really caught anything big.

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Billy,
    I've never fished the lake but can offer you some good advice on locating cats. I took a look at an aerial image of Lake Waxahachie. I would focus my efforts along the north shore line with a predominant Southeast wind blowing. It looks like there are some retaining walls along the north shore. These are good places to start if the wind is blowing on them. Baitfish will concentrate in these areas. Also try the shallow points as well. Anchor the boat about 20 yards out from the area you will be casting to. Use a good punch bait such as Danny King's or cut shad on a 3/4 oz. carolina rig with an 8"-12" leader. Cast as close as you can to the retaining wall and up against any vegetation or brush. I prefer to hold the rod as opposed to using a rod holder. Sometimes the cats will hit really light. Set the hook on any little bite. If the fish hits twice, you're too late. The first hit was the bite, the second was him spitting it out. Hope this helps.

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Billy, welcome to the BOC! You will love it here. Check out the library on here for some great information!

6. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    i live in waxahachie, and ive sneaked behind the dam too you are right lots of fish concentrated especially carp. as far as fishing lake waxahachie, never really had any luck. its a better lake for watersports than fishing.

jdw

7. bwftex

bwftex New Member

State:
    Texas
    I lived in Red Oak years ago and we often went out to Waxahachie Lake to picnic and swim. Its not a great fishing lake but my best luck was around the dam. If you just want to have fun and stay close to home try fishing in any of the area creeks with an ultra light rod and reel. Look for deep channel cuts or holes and you will find a few packed with fish. Often just a piece of corn on a hook is all you need to fill a bucket full of hard fighting fat little super tasty bream. Once you fish out the hole move on to another and go back and check the fished out hole in a few weeks. I've seen very few people fishing these creeks and the fish seem to always be aggressive. I've never caught a catfish in the creeks probably because I never fished for them specifically but I'm sure there must be some. I caught a cottonmouth on Bear Creek once though. What a nasty fight that was on 2lb test. I live on Lake Tawakoni now and it's a fantastic cat fishing lake. Probably one of the best. We use worms to catch eating size cats and hunks of cut bait to go for bigger ones. If you don't mind the drive of a about an hour and a half from Waxahachie give Lake Tawakoni a try one day. Fish a more or less northern shore with a more or less southerly wind and you should catch plenty of nice cats. Bruce

8. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Welcome Billy, hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.

9. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    Welcome Billy to thhe BOC

10. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    Billy welcome to the BOC