Wax

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by coltsfan, Aug 16, 2006.

1. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    is car wax the same as boat wax?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No, entirely different composition and characteristics. I prefer to was my boat, but was told recently that may slow it down. Don't know...I am not one for speed wether it be on the water or on the highway. But was does make the boat look a lot better.

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There are different waxes for boats and cars, but myself I use rainx wax on both. I cant say waxing my boat makes it faster if it does its not enough to tell. I do know that if I open my walk through window my boat will run almost two miles an hour faster. my speedo showes that. but even with window open mine will only run 40 waxed or not.

4. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    If you have a older fiberglass boat, get some Polish such as Starbrite Hull cleaner and Starbrite Marine Polish. I used this stuff years ago on a couple of fiberglass pleasure boats and it will restore the shine on faded fiberglass. There is many others out there, but usually marine wax/polish will have more rubbing compound in it for cutting through the oxidation. Once you get the shine back, regular car wax will probably maintain the shine.

Cheers
    Phil