Wax Worms

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by TX Fisherman, Jun 16, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    A guy told me he used wax worms for bait and says hes caught alot with them, has anyone else done this?

2. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes sir, one of my favorites for crappie and blue gill

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea I use this for ice fishing, have caught them on it.

4. DukeCat

DukeCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When I fish steelhead in Michigan i use wax worms on a jig called a little nipper. It's amazing that a 5+ lb fish will eat something so small.

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    but when you use wax worms for crappie do you use it with a jig or just jig it up and down, and how do you hook them... i dont know much bout em

6. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I usually just fish with a size 8 Gamakatsu snell hook, red finish with a few splitshots about 5-6" up the line and jig it off bottom. Just hook the very end of them so they can wiggle more.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've caught a few small channels on them. I usually have great luck on bluegills everywhere with them. I've had good luck with them in the river catching mooneye & bluegills. They are a great catfish bait!!!

8. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I use the same setup as for bluegill. I use a black gnat fly hook size 10. But when fishing for bluegill I use a bobber and a split shot, for crappie, I dont use the bobber or splitshot. I just cast or troll and let the hook settle and float down.

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I use tubes for crappies but wax worms for gills. Gills love them!
    Bill

10. Whiskerhunter

Whiskerhunter New Member

State:
    Ky
    I use a handmade popeye jig and a waxworm all the time, either with a small float or without. I have caught everything in the world on this set-up, from big slabs to big cats. Big Shell Crackers are kinda parcel to this set up to in certain places.

11. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I got a 6 foot light weight rod and a Zebco Micro-11 underspin reel. I use 4lb line and a tiny little ole kahle hook(smaller than my pinkyfinger nail). I put a small red and white bobber about 10-12 inches above the hook. I get that little waxy out and hook him through the middle. Man it don't take long to fill up a bushel basket. :big_smile:

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How long will wax worms last in the fridge?

13. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    never caught any crappie on wax worms. ive tried and came out with nothing. i prefer jigs or minnows